Is it true you shouldn't date someone you don't know?

I know my date's brothers from high school. But I met my date online. So my mom and younger sister are panicking asking me why I would date someone I don't know? My cousins found their boyfriend/girlfriend online and no one really cares.
So how's that different from me? They also told me not to tell him where I live.
I just don't get it. I've been in 5 relationships before and never had this problem.
What should I do?

We went on our first date to a restaurant that's in the mall then we met up with my friends that he knows too. Now tonight we're going to a carnival.

Most Helpful Guy

• usually you date people you didn't meet before, thats how the world works. end of story.

What Guys Said 5

• Well, presumably, you DO know this person. You've been chatting for a while and because you've had some level of success, have decided to meet in person, no? It's not like just meeting up with a total random. Like I said I would come meet you on Street X right now.

However, at the same time, it is possible this character hasn't been entirely honest. You should certainly try meeting this individual, but just take the usual precautions you would with meeting anyone off the net - agree to meet this person in a public area, with a friend or relative within the vicinity (They can leave once you're sure he's for real.), agree to have your date in an area you are familiar with and be sure to take a folder full of cat pictures to distract him if things get ugly. (He's from the net, it'll work.)

• We went on our first date to a restaurant that's in the mall then we met up with my friends that he knows too. Now tonight we're going to a carnival.

• Sounds to me like this guy is already very familiar with your social circles. In that case, your family is just overreacting.

• what no. most of dating is dating someone you don't know. that's how you get to know them.

• I met my fiancé online

I think you just meet the person in a public place. sure there are precautions you should take when meeting a person you've met online but it's not much different than a first date with anyone you don't know that well.

just tell them you'll meet in a public place, you shouldn't tell them your physical address until you've gotten to know them, and don't go to anywhere private on the first date

• sounds safe and fun.

• I would take their bad advice with a grain of salt. Your dating pool would be crippled if you only dated guys you knew.

• The whole point of dating someone is to get to know them.

That being said, you shouldn't be telling them where you live before you've gone on a few dates with them.

What Girls Said 2

• I always date someone I've talked to and hung out before hand. I never date someone I've never met before. That's unthinkable and, quite frankly, mental.