Is 'your not my type' just a smokescreen for 'you are not attractive'?

When you get that line from someone, do you really think they mean 'you are not attractive?'

Most Helpful Girl

• It could, yes. But other factors could be important as well. For instance, they could be saying that they don't enjoy your poor sense of humor, or your lack of open-mindedness, the fact that you're constantly serious etc. These are all examples, there could be tons of other reasons as well.

What Girls Said 12

• I've never heard that line being spoken to me, but I have heard and said it in conversation. And when I hear it in that context it just means they're not attracted to you. It doesn't mean that you're not attractive, it means you're not attractive TO THEM...

• I've been attracted to two guys that I thought were absolutely GORGEOUS but after I got to know them I just did not like them or want to hang out with them ever.
    They weren't my type but they were veryy good looking :)

• If I ever use that sentence, it will mean something else. Sometimes you are not physically attracted to someone but you can see he/she is not ugly. Someone can be pretty without being attractive to your eyes. I would say "you are not my type" when I am not attracted but think others could be :)

• Sometimes. It's a convenient way to turn a guy down without saying Im just not attracted to u.
    then again I've used that line in the past with guys I thought was attractive but something about him just really rubbed me the wrong way.

• It could mean you are not their type or it could be a smoke screen for red flags that are making them back off. Sometimes it dies mean they are not attracted to you, but most of the time I use it for other reasons.

• When I use it it means "you're not attractive to me." It does not mean that person is unattractive. There may be a lot of people who do find him attractive, just not me.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

• A bit of both.

You're not attractive nor do you have the personality that they're looking for.

But, it could be because they like dark hair color, brown eyes but you have blonde hair, blue eyes (which isn't what they prefer). You know?

Take it however you want. I wouldn't overthink it though.

• No. Sometimes type deals with more than outer appearance. Though it does play a factor.

• not at all. it could even be that you are too attractive for the girl's liking. or you're attractive enough but really just not their type. it happens

• For me "you are not my type" means "I don't find you attractive". It doesn't mean that the person isn't attractive, I actually only use it when I think the person does look good, but just isn't that attractive to me.

• No it's not. There are guys I objectively know are attractive but I'm just not attracted to them.

• Nah sometimes people really are NOT my type, at all. I think it's a nice little smokescreen indeed for you're not attractive.

What Guys Said 7

• I would have to generally say no.

I mean, "yes" in the sense that "you're not my type" generally means "I don't find you attractive", sure. But that doesn't mean you are outright unattractive. I've been told "you're really not my type, but I find you really attractive". Which kinda throws a wrench into this whole argument.

Can it be used as a smokescreen? sure. But I've used the phrase before, too. And it generally just meant that I'm not attracted to her, but I still consider her an attractive person.

• it could be, or they could legitimately feel like you aren't their type

• it could actually go truthfully or smokescreen. either way only the person telling knows.

• When I say it no. I can find someone attractive, but they're not my type. I think they're hot, but they don't turn me on like id like, or something about their personality isn't what I like.

• I imagine that its used that way sometimes. But I dont think that it always necessarily means that.

• No not at all.

• Probably, when it comes to the truth women can be seriously evasive. It's possible she doesn't even know what that means, she only knows that she doesn't like you and that's enough.