I am 17, he is 24 - what is your opinion on the age gap?

What is your opinion on the age difference? Before everyone gets all court law system up in my grill, I am from New Zealand and our legal age is not 18 but 16. In saying that, we are not doing anything super sexual yet. :)

Most Helpful Girl

• Look, I'm gonna be honest. I've dated a guy who was 23(I was 16 then) and after 3 days and some arguments with my mom, I realized we didn't have many things in common because of the age gap.I didn't like him anyway, I was sad I've never had a bf, but I got over it now, because it's like I never had one anyway. So for me it's a biiig difference. Now I wouldn't go for a guy older by 3-4 years at max. But since you seem to like him, all I want to say is think about it well and if you really have things in common (and by that I don't mean music or movies. because at that age usually guys are starting to looking for a stable job, for someone to settle down with and you're still too young to do that, unless you want to lol). If you are mature and responsible and understand he is basically a grown man and that you need to have some boundaries, then it is your choice :). I'm not gonna talk about the legal things and other stuff because you seem to know about them. Oh and be careful when you tell the parents. They might not react so good about the age gap.

What Guys Said 9

• My opinion of the age gap is that it is 7 years.

• That is a tad much of a gap for me I would personally never even consider dating a girl under 18 again.

• I'm 24 in 2 days if I was the guy I wouldn't feel comfortable.
    If I couldn't control my feelings and really liked you id probably tell you to ask me out when your 18/19 and ill say yea.

• It's probably a bit high and it might cause problems. But if you're really mature for your age it might work.

What part of nz are you from?

• yikes. i mean, yeah its legal, but y'all are in two different places in life. besides, it would make me think somethings wrong with him that he can't get someone a little more closer to his age

• 24 y/o man with a 17 y/o? Def a red flag. There is nothing a 24 y/o man has in common with a 17 y/o girl.

• first love? most of the time first love fails..
    So enjoy it.

• As long as it is legal then it is fine. Heck, in some cases the 17 year old can have the older guy wrapped around her little finger. So it really depends on the couple, and not the age.

• I guess it's okay. Personally though, even if the legal age was 16 in my location, I'd be too creeped out at the thought of dating a girl below 18. As a 26 year old, even a girl over half a decade younger (18-21) would be too young for me. But hey, whatever floats your boat if you really like him. Just take this into thought to why he isn't dating girls around his age 20-26. It's highly likely those girls are older and mature enough to know the guy isn't worth it.

What Girls Said 6

• I would say at this point it's inappropriate since you are so young, but if you were both a few years older, the age difference wouldn't matter.

• I'm in a relationship with a twenty-one year old and I'm seventeen too. We get along really well and have lots of chemistry. If you're both open and into it go for it! You guys are at an age where you still have enough things in common to work and it's proven that girls mature faster so really it's no biggie. Have fun! Also make sure your communication is good and what not. x

• As long as you're mentally mature, have respect for yourself, and boundaries/ your limits, then I guess is okay, but personally, it's too much.
    You should try someone closer to your age. I think if I were your age, my maximum would be 20.

• Dont worry he is not old like your daddy and trying to steal to your virginity.

• Go for it.. If you like him then there's no need to think about the age gap. If you are happy with this person then its all that matters.. I know how it feels coz i am 23 and the guy i am dating now is 31. So goodluck :)

• If you're mature enough to get along on an intellectual level as well as physical and you're sure he's not just using you to make him feel good about himself then go for it :)