Relations where one partner is over 18 and one under?

Well I have is friend, she's 16, and her boyfriend is 19, is that really wrong?
Because like, it's okay for a 20 year old to date a 25 year old, but the 16 year old and 19 year old is only 3 year age difference, and yet, people don't like it

• Yes it's wrong
  • no it's not

Most Helpful Guy

• Here's the thing. Yes, it's only 3 calendar years. But a 16 year old (in the US at least) is still in High School, just learning to drive, still learning her way through adolescence, and may or may not even have a part-time job.

A 19 year old is either in college or working some sort of full time job.

There's a huge experience/life gap that's greater than the calendar years.

You're correct, if she was 20 and he was 23 it'd be a non-issue.

Just like if she was 11 and he was 14. Would you think it's ok for her to date, then?

What Guys Said 7

• it really all depends on the place, people, feelings involved, etc.

• Depends on the state. In most states though, it's legal.

• NO three years age difference isn't wrong BUT in this case the Government says its illegal so you can't legal have relations for two more years or he'll be doing jail time

• Nope cause age of consent in most states is age 16
    but also got go by the laws too

• To me it is a big age gap around that age. You do a lot of maturing around 16/17, people can change a lot very easily

• Well the girl I'm talking to is about to turn 19 this summer and I'm 17, I do not think it is wrong

• Morally I don't think it's wrong. In certain parts of the world, such as many states in the USA, it would be illegal though.

What Girls Said 3

• Legally it's wrong.
    But honestly to me that's not even a age difference at all.
    You can still have plenty of things in common.

• And you made your point with the 20 , to 25 year old (they are both adults).
      For a fair comparison 20 and 23 would have been better (because it's the same age difference as 16-19).
      But 16 is considered a child.
      19 is considered an adult.

• I don't wanna say Yes or No. When I was 19 I had a relationship with a 16 year old... It was fine? I never saw anything wrong with it. However, it really depends on the younger one, I think. 3 years to me is pretty much always fine, it can sound a big thing because of laws but like, 3 years, w/e. (where I'm from the age of consent isn't 18 so I guess it's not the same for me, but, yeah).

While we definitely need to worry about when people are with underaged people and like, we need to look out for underaged girls especially because they're preyed on a lot... Sometimes, y'know... Just being legally by the book like both over 18 doesn't mean its consensual, and being legally shady doesn't mean it's not... [shrug]

but like I said, the laws and norms are different in my country, so it might be a different situation with your girls...

• Once your friend is over 18 it doesn't matter anymore. Age is just a number.