Why do guys ask for second dates?

The other day I went out with this guy, it was a lovely date and he seemed really nice but there was no spark. He asked to see me again and I agreed because I'd like to get to know him better ( who knows, maybe there might be something there. ) and to me the second date is just another opportunity to do this.
However I'm worried that by accepting I might be giving him the wrong impression. Is it possible that he simply wants to get to know me better also? Or do boys only ask for a second date if they're after a relationship and/or sex?

Most Helpful Guy

• The rule I have when I started dating after my divorce is I never ask for a second date while on the first date. This could pressure the woman to say yes when she really does not want to. and Frankly I had a disastrous first date and because we already had another date set, I felt I had to go on it...it was a bad situation all around and led to being the only woman I ever broke up with.
    .
    I don't know any guys that would ask for a second date unless they really wanted to continue to get to know the woman. There doesn't have to be sparks flying everywhere the first time. but you should follow your gut. The only time I didn't it was a huge disaster...

What Guys Said 5

• For me, there are two types of liking a girl.
    1. You like how she looks. She is one-night-stand material. I'd give her one date.
    2. You like EVERYTHING ABOUT HER (currently stuck here :D). She is amazing, you want to spend every moment of the day kissing and talking to her.

In my experience, boys do NOT have sex on their agenda if he likes you in the 2nd way. He wants to know more about you, see if there is a connection. He definitely likes you and might even wants a relationship, but I hope for you that he isn't after sex.

• Im thinking he just wants another shot to see you again and get to know you better, maybe he really likes you

• probably felt a connection. just cause you didnt, doesn't mean he didn't

• When ask it's to see the girl again

• If I ask for a second date, it's because I like the girl and want to get to know her better, a relationship and sex aren't on my radar at that point! Now if a girl is not feeling a spark, I'd hope she would have enough of a back bone to say "Sorry, I just don't feel a spark, but thanks for a nice time and good luck for the future" after the first date instead of agreeing to a second date and wasting my time.

What Girls Said 4

• Everyone deserves a second chance when it comes to Anything, and in many cases, if the first time Out doesn't light a match, Other times 'seconds' could bring about a 'Spark.'
    Yes, depending on the guy, who may be looking for both, or one or the other, he Most likely will 'ask for a second date' to see if something can be ignited. Can't blame a guy for trying and making the effort.xx

• Like teasegirl said, you're over thinking it. He just wants another date, most probably because he's also unsure if there's a possible spark there or not. Relax.

• Typical stereotype of a woman. Over thinking stuff. He wants to see to again. That's it.

• he just want's to know you better