Why do girls always want to be nurses?

So I would say that at least 6 or 7 out of every 10 girls I talk to want to be a nurse or in the medical field. What's up with that?

Most Helpful Girl

• Well I'm in my final years of becoming a nurse and I think the reason why so many girls want to join the health sector is because of the job vacancies. Not to mention that it would be a stable and well paying job and highly respected. Also, shows like Grace Anatomy and House, makes healthcare look good and it advertises to the young and girls always think that they might be the possibility of marrying a doctor or surgeon, or at least that's what they tend to joke about.

• I use to volunteer at a hospital. I dont think most of these naive girls really know what they're in for when they claim they want to be a nurse.

• Yes well to some extent. I know some girls who have dropped out of my classes over time because nursing was not what they expected to be. It's not an easy profession, and if one really wants to pursue this career then they should have heart and love what they are doing otherwise they are just going to burnout and be a hazard to patient and themselves.

What Girls Said 8

• I shall stay farrrrr far away from the medical field, you won't see me there.
    I have a low immune system and I get paranoid around sick people, even if it is just a freaking cold.
    Seriously, my 1 year old nephew has a cold and he touched and bit my exercise hula hoop so I sprayed lysol disinfectant spray all over it, then he wiped his nose on the couch where I was sitting so I sprayed that too.
    I get paranoid!

• LMAO. That's another question, why do so many girls get sick all the time. lol

• Well I am a vegetarian and I sometimes have iron deficiency too so that could possibly be why maybe.

• There's a lot of jobs for nurses right not especially with our aging population. It's one of the most demanded jobs out there right now. I'm actually in engineering which is stereotyped as male occupation so yeah

• I'm actually starting nursing school soon :)
    I'm 20 and I've wanted to be a nurse ever since I was 5. There are always job opportunities and I love to help people. Right now I work at a facility as a caregiver and I help out many old people and I love my job and I get well paid plus I just got a raise :D but nursing is reallly popular which is good because nurses and doctors are needed everywhere and there are different types of doctors and nurses so it's not all the same :)

• We like to help people.

• so why is my mom a graphic designer then?

• I didn't say all girls

• I know, it's just a more common thing for girls to want to help people because we are raised to be the nurtures. Nurses are paid nurtures so it fits.

• Because that's just what they want to do? I don't want to be a nurse, I want to be a veterinarian. Which is different. I can't handle people blood or puke or anything really, but I've been working in a veterinary office since I was 13, observing surgeries and getting my hands dirty (usually bloody) when I can, and I love it. But I couldn't do it if it were a human, in my opinion it is COMPLETELY different. We all have what we want to do with our lives, some people want to be nurses.

• I sure as hell don't want to be a nurse. Personally, it's not something I would like to do for my career.
    Maybe because many people consider nursing and careers in the medical field have decent salaries and medical field careers are very respectable professions? Plus some people just like helping people.

• It's easier to get a job right out of college if you're a nurse.

• Not really, the government has hyped up nursing vacancies but when students actually apply for those jobs its another hassle becasue most places look for work experience and not actual clinical experience, so it makes acquiring jobs hard.

• Most women I know want to be psychologist, cosmetologist, or a elementary teacher and people in general at my college pursue psychology major, medical field, lawyer, or buisiness

What Guys Said 2

• Apparently it's not too difficult to become one (many only need an Associates degree) and the pay is decent right out of the gate due to high demand.

• I guess you need a degree in nursing then? I only have an associate of arts degree. Maybe I should become a nurse.

• That's what I was referring to. Did you seriously think I meant any AA will do?

• lol no I didn't

• Guys too.. I'm a nurse