He said he won't date me because he is scared

This guy I like has told me he loved me and that I have his heart but he won't date me because he is scared to get hurt like he did previously. I... Show More

Most Helpful Opinion

• It sounds like you are doing all the things you would be doing, so you are effectively getting what you want from the relationship. Are you really so hung up on the titles 'boyfriend/girlfriend' that you would jeopardize what you have? My advice would be to carry on down the route you are going. Things are stepping up slowly at a rate that he's comfortable with and it sounds like you are not too dissatisfied with your progress. You are clearly boyfriend and girlfriend! Let him ease himself into that situation without pressuring him unduly. As for feeling vulnerable about him seeing other people, I think you have a right to demand exclusivity if you stayed the night. You could say that if he doesn't want to officially 'date' you, then you want first refusal, so that he can't date anyone else in the meantime. That would be a light hearted way of bringing the subject up and should get you the assurance you need. Good luck - you both sound like nice people.

• I just feel vulnerable because I know potentially he could say "well we weren't dating" and find someone else. He's not showing any signs of doing that but I'm not sure.