When is an age difference too large?

i know people who are married that are over 10 years apart, but when does that become appropriate? in high school i remember it being a big deal that a freshman and a senior would date and everyone said "if he's that far older than you all he wants is sex." when is 3-4 years finally appropriate? what about 5-6 years and so on?

Most Helpful Girl

• It's all relative to life experiences. When you're a freshman and the person you're dating is a senior your life experiences are goals are totally different. As you get older, life experiences happen in more broad of age groups. Same with our life goals, they become similar with a larger group of ages while we get older. That's why when your 18 dating someone 28 doesn't work out as well but when you're 48 dating someone 58 it works out better and makes more sense.

What Guys Said 7

• My dad's cousin was almost 20 years younger than her husband. They were married 40 years and had three great kids and lots of grandkids. Love is the only thing that matters in this life. Forget what society tells you.

• When you're over the age of 18 and out of high school, it ceases to matter.

• age, to an extent, is nothing but a number. it all depends really

• I do not think that age makes a difference. In principle I would think that love can strike between any two persons I suppose. Most of the time however more than 10 years apart is indicative of something not quite right. I think I would put the maximum decent difference somewhere between 6 and 8 years.

• When you're in high school, it feels like anybody outside of your grade is too large an age difference, bu I'd assume that no longer applies when you graduate and go to college.

• It doesn't matter at all as long as both partners are happy and satisfied, provided none is a minor

What Girls Said 4

• When you're young age difference is a big deal, because you can be a minor and the other person is an adult. Therefore, the relationship is considered illegal.
    But as you get older, age becomes less important.
    For instance, if a 25 year old dates a 50 year old, then I think the difference is too large. If it's a 20 year old who dates a 25 I think it's acceptable.
    In the end, it all depends on the age and the maturity of the people involved in the relationship, because each case is different.

• its mainly about how 'mature' the two partners are. some girls and boys mature very early and that brings them on the same wavelength. i guess thats the most important. being on the same wavelength as your partner. then the age difference doesn't matter that much.

• I think half the older persons age +7 is a good way to do it, if they are younger than that number then it's not so good. So for 40 yr old 27 would be the cut off point.

• I think over 20 years is way too large. My parents have like a 17 year age and have been married for over 3 decades.

• Max 7 years not more