Okay this is my first ever question haha...He's 24 and I'm 16. Is that crazy?

We're taking things super slow, and he has a sister my age, and has said if it was his sister and a 24 year old he'd go nuts. I'm mature for my age and no one ever realises I am 16, people assume I'm 18/19... I want to know your opinions, I know the odds are against us so I'm not expecting a miracle, but he's sweet, kind, romantic, has lots in common with me and treats me well so I'm going to cherish it while lasts - I just want to know if people think this is absolutely wrong and their opinion?

Most Helpful Guy

• "and has said if it was his sister and a 24 year old he'd go nuts"

I'll never understand these kinds of people. It's not your concern.

By the way, it depends on the age of consent in your country. Here it would be perfectly legal, I've even heard of a girl being 16 dating a 32 but i'm sure that speaks of psychological issues. I personally don't really see what is so appealing in dating someone who's not on your own maturity level, but I'll leave that question open to those that do.

• I... don't think it was *that* helpful, but thanks, haha.

• No, I appreciate that your giving your opinion without trying to almost force me to do/not do something online like I've experienced haha. It was the type of answer I was looking for :)

• It's your choice, and it's possible to make it work. While it's a bit more of an age difference than my personal preference, my brother is 28 and his girlfriend is 22 (and I think they've been together for 2 years now), and that difference is deemed completely normal. What you need to make sure is that you actually know the person well before you jump into their arms, because some people can try to exploit that people look for 'romance'. Also, if the age of consent is 18 in your country, you can lay low for 2 years and get together reasonably afterwards: it's even a pretty decent test to see if the relation is that valued by both sides, heh. Although 2 years is a long time, even I initiated mine after knowing the person for a year. I think it was a year and not two.

What Guys Said 9

• Thats really hard. I worked at a place a while back when i was 22. This super hot girl started working there who i had seen at my college campus. From the moment I introduced myself she was flirting with me. She gave me that giddy feeling i almost never get and i just loved her presence. We never had sex but hugs and making out became common at work. One day a friend of hers came to the restaurant with a cupcake for her birthday. It was at that moment i realized she was 17 and was pretty shocked. I asked her why she was in college, and she said it was a high school program which allowed her to take college classes. She also looked pretty mature and was very inteligent.( another reason i was so hooked) Luckily i never got too far with her because i could have been maked a pervert. But the truth is i had legitimate feelings for her. But i had to break it off. To be honest with you i dont what the right answer is. I mean if your 26 and she's 14, you have issues, amd should probably aim a little higher.

• It's tough because not all 24 year olds are equal, and not all 16 year olds are equal. I'm speaking as a baby faced 24 year old that makes even the horniest cougar feel like a creepy pedophile (when I'm not scowling, lol).

But, according to the law, you are underaged and that's totally not cool.

• Pretty hypocritical of him to say that if his sister was in the same position, he'd go nuts. Just wait till you're 18 to go out with a guy as old as you like. Not at 16 while you're underage. Unless you're legal in your area. Maybe if you were of a legal age, you'd be mature enough to realize this guy is lame. Not doubting your maturity right now but you're going to keep on maturing of course.

• Why'd you say he's lame?

• If some of the things he says makes you wary then I'd still avoid if I were you. Legal or not. In the end, it's your decision.

• Woah okay, no need to get wound up over it!

• In my opinion it isn't worth it you are too young and he could use his age to force you into situations but if you love him and he loves you then screw what people say and do what you want to do if you love him stay with him but if not then try someone your own age or a year older or younger

• I think it is ok for 16 year olds to date in singapore, though some people dont approve, but my 16 year old seniors at my school r mostly quite mature, so if u r as mature as u claim to be, i guess its fine

• "He's 24 and I'm 16. Is that crazy?"
    Yes.

• not only is it immoral, its also illegal

• Man I am not going to tell what your doing is wrong people on this site will judge you but I say you do what makes you happy

• From how it sounds I'd have absolutely no problem with it at all, But if my sister were dating a 24 year old i'd go nuts. In general I disagree with what your doing, but I feel like i would be that 24 year old with a 16 year old girlfriend -_-

What Girls Said 5

• I was once in the same situation at 15 with a 22 year old. He thought I was older but he also had a sister my age. We were family friends so my mom was cool with him. We never even kissed because he didn't want any problems. He went back to school in another state and still loves there and I've moved to another state as well. We're still friends and would probably date if we lived closer. If he really cares for you he will be respectful.

• Yeah you need to step back. 8 years a is a big time difference. You are not even close to graduaating high school and he is old enough to have left college when you entered high school. He has life experience you don't. The maturity level (that should be there) is a huge difference as well.
    There is a reason that it is illegal to be with them. You are at a rather large disadvantage and are much more likely to be used by him.The whole thing is just a very bad idea. And this is coming from someone that only wanted to date a 21 year old at 17. Once I turned 21 I honestly would not want anything to do with a 17 year old due to the huge differences in our lives.
    I know that you probably are thinking that it's not a big deal but it is. You are quite young an naive and not even fully emotionally and mentally developed (seriously some areas of the brain don;t even activate until closer to 18) where as this man presumably is. It would be like you wanting to date an 8 year old. IT is that big of a difference in the stages of life you are in right now.
    I know this is not the answer you wanted, but please at least consider the differences in your stages of life, and the fact that if your parents even THINK you are having sex he can be a registered sex offender for LIFE. You could have the power to change the outcome of both your lives.

• Okay, I can see why your saying that etc. But I just want to say I'm in England, so I have finished my education and can go college now if I wish to. To me, that's slightly different than what it's like in America.

• That big of an age difference is the same anywhere.

• Still trying to find a scholarly article you can probably understand, but at this age your pre frontal cortex in your brain is just starting to activate. This is important because this is the area that helps with judgement and understanding long term consequences. It does not fully develop until after 18 and sometimes into your twenties. Which leaves you at a large disadvantage to this man because he can easily prey on you, due to your lower depth of understanding. Not to mention your this area also helps control emotion and mood swings. Do what you want, but I feel that at 24 you will feel rather different about this "relationship".

• depends really...but never trust him!

• I don't, I'm really wary and doubtful of the stuff he says just in case it's to impress me or to 'get in my pants' but he's not like that, he always makes sure I want to be with him and never tries to make the first move, it's like he's wary of me just wanting a fling x

• well...girl I'm not really experienced about guys so i can't say what he really wants!! i just hope all good for you :)

• Been there, done that. Except it was a difference of 7 years. Also, your guy sounds like my ex i.e. a jerk. If it were me, I'd not be going down that lane again. Ever.

• that's a pretty big age difference when you're 16. i would say to keep things slow or at least platonic if possible just to see if his feelings for you are genuine and he's not "playing" you, if thats possible

• Thank you, I'm going to