My boyfriend does drugs should I dump him?

I love my boyfriend with all my heart and we have been in a very healthy, happy, and committed relationship for 16 months. He is so respectful to me and is such a gentleman. we are both 18. The only problem is he smokes weed, a lot. I knew when we first started dating he smoked and i smoked too but not as much. Recently i got caught with weed and am now on probation for 3 months. I dont have a problem with not smoking weed cause im not hooked on it and i dont want to get into anymore trouble with the law. i want to go to college and have a family and not end up in prison. my boyfriend is still choosing to smoke weed and he does it a lot with his friends, he also likes to party too. i love him so much and he loves me too but im afraid that if i stay with him then it will ruin my chances of going to college and having a family and im afraid he might end up in jail someday cause of his pot smoking hobby. he does want a family too and he has a job and wants to go to college so its not like he doesn't have goals but I don't know im scared. should follow my head (break up with him) or my heart (stay with him)? what we have is so special and we really connect, im afraid i will never find someone as sweet and respectful as he is. him smoking is his only flaw to me.

• stay with him
  • dump him
  • other (explain in comments)

Most Helpful Girl

• It shouldn't matter to you. He does what he wants, leave it up to him. Idiot, YOU got caught with weed on your own expense that was NOT your bf's fault. Yea he may have influenced you but do you really have no brain? Think for your fucking self and make your own decisions.

My last bf smoked from time to time. I didn't and he respected that. He did what he wanted and that was fine with me. I knew what was right and wrong for me. He never pressured me into it and your bf isn't pressuring you either so you're just a fagit.

What Guys Said 5

• Smokin' is a perrty bad habit to have. I myself would never get with a smoker cuz its a BIC turn off. Sumone who parties a lot and is always out smokin with friends could pose prob to ur family once u have kids. He will not be at home to watch da kids but will be out doing his thang while ur the only one at home doing everything.

• Just stay with him. There's no reason smoking pot should stop you having a family. It's just weed.

Lol you need to take a bit more self responsibility if he smokes it's his choice and ge's pretty young so who cares. It will make you look real bad if you dump him for smoking just after you got caught lol.

• If you have to ask random people for advice then dumb him. He is no good for you

• does drugs = can't pass drug test= bum

• I don't understand why him smoking would stop you going to college.. I say stay with him, weed's not that big a deal, it's not as bad as cigarettes and it's not really addictive either so he could probably stop if he wanted to

What Girls Said 6

• He might be respectful and such, but it's just a dead end.
    If he keeps going on like that, he won't be able to support himself.
    If you keep dating him, you'll be in the same position because you'll be around that environment.
    Yes, you love him, but you gotta love yourself too. I say leave him until he definitely quits for good, and if he loves you, he will.

• Sit down and have a honest conversation where you both discuss your goals and fears. See where both of you are and how your goals and fears line up. If you're both not willing to make some compromises, then maybe it is best to find someone else.

• i chose other because you have to tell him to not have it around you at all or dump him.

• I only recently found out my dad was a loser when he met my mom, there's always a chance that he could change. Talk to him about it, give it time, then dump him.

• I think that you should give him your input on it. Tell him that it bugs you or that you feel like you dont like the habit because you're concerned about his health. If he agrees then ask him to get help with his addiction

• Ultimately you have to make this choice on your own. Nothing anyone can say will change what happens. However, if you choose to stay with him you may want to consider moving to a location that has legalized his habit. If you are in a location where it is truly legal, you can still have family and education. If you don't want to move then you need to get a new partner.