Would you do an open relationship?

I'm at a point in my life where marriage and kids are not an option for a few years. I'm 25 and just not ready for that.

I've never been in an open relationship (officially) but I'm starting to think it's a good idea. So, question is: is it possible to have an open relationship these days? Has anyone had any success with one?

If all you're going to say is you believe they're wrong, save it. I know most people don't agree, but I think they could work with the right couple of people.

• Open relationships have worked for me or someone I know (from actual experience)
  • Open relationships in my experience have always led to negativity (from actual experience)

Most Helpful Girl

• My only experience with an open relationship was a positive one. We talked about it and agreed that at this point we were both happy keeping it open just to relieve that pressure of a full on relationship. We both cared very deeply for each other and what not and yeah it worked. We had established rules and what not and I think that's a real necessity from the beginning. We said that parties and what not we could play with our options and act as though we were single (neither of us were with more than two people outside of each other the whole time). We had a rule where the person we were hooking up with had to know about the relationship and also we tended to tell each other the goings on. A lot of people disagreed with us but it was in the top three best relationships I've had, definitely. It honestly depends on the two people experiencing it. Today we're still good friends and no blood was shed, really smooth ending. I recommend, even if you don't want to experience other people it's a good way to manage the pressures and dramas of a full on relationship, and you get all the benefits.

• so what is the difference between open relationship and friends with benefits?

• Profound and Clear. Copy that!.
      I believed that once you got involve in a relationship your primary aim is a partner for life but ummm... lol. it's too long to explain.
      Ok, thanks Miss Moistycakes. Have a good day.

• I think especially now in my late teens and into your early twenties for me I'm still in that discovery of my own sexuality stage so it leaves room for me to explore that further while having a long term partner with the emotional and physical side of things too. It's biological nature for men especially to be with multiple women so I see open relationships as a positive thing if the two people are happy with open communication. A lot of people look down on it because they don't fully understand how so if you find someone and explain the realistic side of things maybe they'll have a better understanding. However I don't think I will continue to have open relationships in my late twenties and onwards.

What Girls Said 9

• I don't see anything wrong with an open relationship as long as you are mature enough to handle it. Give it a try.

• Not for me. I am jealous by nature and the thought of sharing the guy I love with someone would not fly well with me. That being said, if you think it could work for you then by all means try it. I know from a few people that have tried it that it usually doesn't turn out too well and someone ends up getting hurt n

• I do not have any experience though. I don't think i would do it lol I am open minded but not THAT much that all. I would attack that girl. And the guy later. Dead serious.

• No. It's quite repulsive to me. Also... the risks of STDs is just... yuck.

• Open relationships are great its perfect fr someone who doesn't want any commitments , only downside is there's a high chance one of you are going to fall fr the other. But if both of you keep your emotions away frm it then you're fine

• I would be too jealous for that.

But if you guys can handle it then there's nothing wrong with it.

• I can't stand that, I need someone who absolutely loves me

• I'm kind of selfish and wouldn't want to share my man. I hope he would feel the same. haha.

• I myself would not be in an open relationship. I'm a very monogamous person and have too much of a jealous bone for that. I don't like to share, nor would I feel right if my guy wanted to share me. I'm sure for the right type of people, they can work just fine for awhile, I don't see it as a permanent thing though.

What Guys Said 4

• Only if a woman doesn't put out the exclusive matter, then it's easier for you to be in open relationship. By the way, you have many opts for being in open relationship as well.

• I have zero personal experience with it and I know with complete conviction that it's not for me.

That said, I suppose the right mixture of people could make it work. Being interested in doing it and ACTUALLY doing it and liking it are are two different things, though.

• If its an friends with benefits casual no strings attached style relationship, then I'm all for keeping it open. But if its a long term serious relationship, then I'm more of a one lady man.

• I'd never want to be in an open relationship, I'd get too jealous. Exclusive relationships only.