Are the reality tv shows preplanned?

The families always seem to have something going on their always having fun. Are the activities preplanned to make the show more likeable? Regular families are more chill and not going out all the darn time.

Most Helpful Guy

• Yes, for sure. It would be pretty boring if they put average strangers together that either didn't hang out or just generally got along.

Lets cast the racist white kid with the black ghetto guy. Lets take the Tim Tebow wanna be religious nut and cast him with a gay roomate. Etc.

Its all done for ratings... Don't get me started on the Kardashians. Their entire claim to fame is remarrying an olympic athlete from the 80's and a sex video with a football player. They are a complete and utter train wreck of human beings.

• Hahaha.. "Lets cast the racist white kid with the black ghetto guy. Lets take the Tim Tebow wanna be religious nut and cast him with a gay roomate. Etc. " Yeah, I agree.

What Guys Said 8

• There are many things going on that keep them from being "reality".

Scripting is rarely done, but what they will do is set up fake situations and let the "stars" improvise the situation. They may film it a dozen or more different ways, then pick and even assemble an ideal scene to be used in the show.

In the rare cases where they actually do let a natural moment occur, they build an interesting scene from footage in editing. Rearranging events as they occurred is very common and even inserting responses that make the most of the situation so it is interesting is a big part of the editors job.

• yes. it's all scripted.

i honestly don't understand why people watch reality tv shows. I understand why they are made, and why they consistently replace actual shows: because they are very cheap to make and people watch them. But I don't understand why people watch them.

• Almost every reality show is scripted to an extent. Most are heavily scripted and just shot in a "reality" style.

The only reality show that isn't scripted and never has been is the very first and longest running reality show COPS.

• I love Cops

• I love COPS too. Growing up as a kid, it was a family tradition on Saturday nights.

• It keeps kids from jail lol

• They are either scripted, or constantly being placed in drama filled situations. They know why they have their own tv shows, and you better believe they're going cause as much drama as they can.

Those shows are by no means "reality".

• I think what you think!
    The more commercial the TV station is, the more you have the sense it's preplanned.
    The only reality series I really like are those by the BBC. They're always made without looking for sensation.

• To some extent, yes

• They are pre-planned and in some cases, scripted.

I watch the show "Comic Book Men" and the guys on that show also have a podcast, and they have discussed on the podcast many times having arguments with the TV show producers over the producers wanting them to say and do scripted things, and them not wanting to do them.

• All "reality shows" are completely scripted. There is nothing real about them.

What Girls Said 5

• Most are I believe. They need drama to keep things interesting so I think the producers introduce the drama

• Yes all reality shows follow some sort of script. They don't always go by the script but they know when they are going to do each scene so it's organized.

• I hope they are. They seem all crazy.

• I believe so. Not all but a lot. I think that Kardashians one is definitely preplanned.

• Yes. 99.999999999% of the time they are pre-planned