Is 14 years old too young to start dating?

My parents told me that I have to be 17 to date, but I see that people (who were the same as my age) are starting to go out now.

Most Helpful Guy

• its not too young but ur parents are probably just scared that ur gonna start doing sexual stuff without knowing much and u might get urself pregnant If u start dating at ur age... I know this to be absurd but a lot of parents think this way... id honestly recommend to just not tell em... but if u are gonna date make sure u don't let any guy get past kissing you, especially if you are 14... cuz as much as ud like to think its not, letting a guy play with your boobs once can easily escalate to you being naked nd being afraid to say no to him...

What Guys Said 5

• its not too young but your parents word is law at this moment in your life. it would be so hard for you to date without them knowing (I think) lol.

• Not yes but HELL yes!!

• It's not too young as long as you keep it to the level of having fun and socializing.

You've got a long life ahead of you to enjoy guys taking you on emotional roller coaster rides and screwing you over. Don't be so quick to rush into it.

• It is not too young to have crushes and short-term puppy love relationships, however, 14 is too young for anything sexual. Hell, in my opinion, even ages 15, 16, and 17 are a little young for sexual activity, but definitely would refrain from sex at your age.

• Grade 10? Not too young, no.

What Girls Said 6

• Yes, 14 years old is way too young to start dating. You may not realize it now because you probably feel like you're missing out on something that all your peers are experiencing, but trust me as a 21 year old female who has been through the motions.
    Most of the girls who put a lot of emphasis on dating and relationships at 14 are either pregnant, have or have had STD's, carry emotional baggage that they can't seem to get rid of, or generally don't understand how to live life without dating and men being a major part of their time. One of my very best friends started dating when she was 12 or so and now, at the age of 23, she cannot function as a single, independent woman without a boyfriend. I love her to death, but it's actually quite sad and slightly pathetic. There is more to life than dating and guys but starting out early can make that hard to realize later on.

• I'm 17 and I've been told a few times that I'm much more mature than people my age. Do I take that as an indicator to start a relationship? No. Because it doesn't matter what other people have to say about your circumstances. I know for a FACT that I'm not ready to be in any sort of relationship.

Yes, you will see people around you going in (and out) of relationships but these sort of relationships are short lived. I think it would be better to be patient and wait for a relationship that will be worth it in the end.

• I would listen to your parents. Speaking from experience, waiting till you are older to date is MUCH better :)

• I started dating at 12 and all my friends dated before me. Its not too young just don't make mistakes.

• Its too young, seriously. Wtf? Focus on school. Later You will have plenty of time for dating

• I think 14 is a little young, but it depends on a lot of factors. When your that young, I don't think you should be worried about finding the guy for you yet.