I thought that he wasn't that into me so I stepped back, but he reacted unexpectedly. Have I scared him away for good now?

I've been dating a guy I really like for a couple of months now. We live in different cities, so we see each other on the weekends.
He told me from the start that it usually takes him time to let someone in and he wants to go slowly. We became intimate pretty soon, and when we're in private he's very cuddly and sweet, but when we're in public he never holds my hand while we walk, and rarely kisses me. He also told me that he's not really into daily text chatting, and it's in fact mostly me starting conversations (to which he answers btw).
Considering all these things, and considering that this weekend we were both free and when I asked him if he wanted to do something he said that he just wanted a day of relax at home, I concluded that he's not that interested after all, so I told him that it would probably be better if we stopped seeing each other because I didn't want to get hurt. He then said that he told me that he needs time, mostly because girls tend to do exactly what I did: suddenly wanting to stop dating. He also said some nice things about me and told me that it's not usual for him to say such things about someone.
After that I explained myself better and told him that I don't want to stop seeing him, but I was just trying to protect me. He then asked me if it was just me ovethinking and I said yes, and I admitted that need to work on it. He didn't reply to that.

So now my question is: what should I do now? Should I stay silent and wait for him to say something? Was it really me overthinking or he's not that into me after all? Did I lose him for good now or there's still a chance?

What Guys Said 1

• Just give him time. With your schedules and only seeing each other on weekends he would rarely get a day to himself. We all need those days for our own time. I am sure he will come around, just give him the space he needs.

What Girls Said 0