Rebound relationships

I'm in danger of being the rebound girl and I really really like this guy do rebound relationships ever work out?

Most Helpful Guy

• well, they can work. Let me give you a little story. I had a girlfriend for 2 years, it ended badly between us. The next week this girl and I were getting flirtacious. I asked her out, but made sure she knew it was rebound, she said that was ok. It went on great. The main thing is that you distance yourself emotionally for a while, date him as the rebound girl, and if it continues to work once he is well over her, then you will already be dating and on your way to a great relationship.

The fallacy most people (women) have is that they always think, well this is different. Its not different, the guy probably won't even admit to himself he is on rebound, and you don't want to believe it either. Accept it for what it is, and know that it has a high chance of long term failure, but if you feel that you won't get hurt if he dumps you, then by all means, it would probably be fun for both of you

• He's right you know. I had a decent relationship with a girl immediately after a break up. It went on for a few months and the relationship ended pretty much on mutual terms. (no not mutual hate) Also I know a girl who has been dating a guy who was a rebound and has been with I'm for three years.

Trust both of us when I tell you that you always have a fighting chance you just have to work at it. Don't assume you're doomed from the start or you won't even try. noregret11 has the right idea here.

• You're welcome

What Guys Said 4

• If you really think about it, relationships in general do not work out, unless you get married and live happily ever after... blah blah blah. :D

• A rebound relationship likely won't work if the previous relationship ending horribly - or if there is some sort of emotional baggage lingering. Sometimes a person will search for a "rebound" guy/girl who is opposite of their last boyfriend/girlfriend. Other times, the rebound relationship can work out. I have a friend who got involved with a girl -- he was her "rebound" -- but her previous relationship didn't end horribly, it just ended... so after several months of dating and taking things slow, they did end up getting together and still are together three years later.

Sometimes it works out, other times it doesn't; it just depends on how much damage the previous relationship breakup caused.

If he's with you to FORGET his ex -- that's where you might be in trouble. If he's with you because he really likes you -- things might actually work out if you take it slow. Just depends on the individual circumstances.

• They do not work out most of the time but there's always a chance.

• If he's not over his EX then your a Rebound.. works out or not time will tell.

What Girls Said 5

• They can work out...it's not impossible but it is harder to have a success. People tend to call the relationship that is started after a break up is a "rebound" when in fact the person is completely over their ex. Just take it slow, communicate and go from there. If you feel that it's clear he's not over his ex than you may want to step back.

• Hey,

I broke up with my boyfriend of 4 years and within weeks I was in a relationship with my current boyfriend. He was worried about being a rebound because he really had feelings for me but I was totally over my ex and ready for the relationship. We have now been together for over a year and we are now living together.

It can work out but the person has to be over their ex. It also depends on who did the breaking up. Most times when you break up you have already lost the connection and made up your mind before the actual break up so it doesn't take as long to get into another relationship.

• Wow sounds like my gf, she had been with her guy for 2 years (we're only young) and now I've been with her for almost her year even though I was kinda her rebound, we both don't believe in rebounds, just a stupid excuse when things go wrong

• if you are really worried about being the rebound girl, give it a couple of weeks before anything gets started between you two. if its ment to be, then move in and go for it. rebound relationships can work, but you have to believe in the relationship from the begining. you can't have any doubts about it, or you could jinx it.

• I have been in rebound relationship not only once but twice... so I will give you my own personal advice... The first time I was in a rebound It was terrible and did not work out... I had broken his heart terribly... I left him and went back to my ex... worst mistake of my life... luckily the man loved me enough to wait for me for 3 years for me to come to my senses. I presently am back and he says we are in a rebound as I came back after breaking up with my ex... we have been together for almost 2 years and it is working out great! So coming from someone in a rebound relationship YES THEY CAN WORK OUT... it is NOT ALWAYS THAT THEY FAIL! I can HONESTLY say that we have LEARNED AND GROWN the second time around... we have matured immensely... and from the outside world you would have never ever known it to be a rebound relationship at all! ALL THE BEST AND GO FOR IT!

• What made you " come to your senses"? And how did he act about the situation? Sorry I'm a reboundee and am curious.

• This is interesting. I've been seeing a guy and I've been warned off him by friend saying that I will get hurt so I've told him and cut contact as scared I'll get hurt. No I feel like an idiot after reading this.

• It may work out or may not work out. But just try not to be the doormat. I was my exes doormat for a year, and I finally decided to get over him and move on. Now I'm with another guy who really does care for me, and only now my ex wants to start taking me seriously. I personally think if I got back with my ex it would work out, but I really like the guy I'm with at the moment so I'm not going to take the chance.