When someone fucks up so bad but wants another chance?

My ex and I broke up about two weeks ago. He messed up a lot, started treating me differently, broke my trust by partying hardcore when I didn't approve, and wasn't really there for me which led to me being different, too. He contacted me saying how sorry he is and also wrote me a really sweet 7-8 page long letter saying how sorry he is and that he needs me. I've seen him a few times and he cries sometimes about what he did and apologizes profusely, promising he's always here for me now.

How can I know that he's telling the truth? I don't want to let him in again and just have him fuck it up and it be another waste of time and emotions. I do want to be with him but not if it's unhappy at all. What should I do?

Most Helpful Guy

• It's so difficult. On my first job 15 years ago I had a supervisor who was a very kind and professional guy.
    After a few months he explained us that he had spent 5 years in prison for drugs dealing on a major scale.
    But he guaranteerd us he had left that far behind him and I can tell you, he was an excellent boss.
    So, it's a question of confidence and you CANNOT be certain.
    If your heart says yes, talk to him again and again. And at least tell him that any involvement with criminality again, will send him out of your house through the second floor window!
    Than, to jail...

What Guys Said 2

• Is this the same one that was on drugs and shit? you're good looking enough that you don't have to tolerate this bullshit.

• I don't believe in 2nd chances. Do me wrong once and it's over.

What Girls Said 3

• Your ex is an idiot, I remember reading your questions about him before. You can do better! Leave him!

• Whatever we say won't matter, because you aren't ready to let go. Once you are you won't need them to ask this question

• Next time you see him, rip up those letters in front of his eyes and tell him you are done. He will just fuck up again if you let him back.