What are your opinions on guys that pursue a skilled trade?

In the past, I would say this generally meant going into more of a blue collar work environment, however nowadays there are some well paying skilled trade careers. Some that don't require (however still encourage) going on to earn a Bachelor's Degree.

So ladies, do you look down on this career choice? I haven't ever attended a 4 year university but I still would consider myself ambitious, hardworking, and take my schooling seriously. It's just that I'm not pursuing a 4 year (+) type of career. I intend on turning it into one, if that makes sense, but as of right now, I'm basically attending a trade school.

Most Helpful Girl

• Depends on what skilled trade. A car restoration degree is kinda "eh" from the reactions I gathered. Degrees such as an instrument tech are rather respected though. My friends (fem) find this degree to be really good and they think it's actually a very smart move because its a two year degree that can pull around $90/hr after two weeks of nightshift.

I think it mainly depends on what you make of your degree and whether you take pride in your work. Any doctor can make his profession look like a joke.

• I'll be going into design work in the mechanical engineering field operating CAD systems. It's not what would be considered a typical "trade" traditionally, if that makes sense, at least I wouldn't say so. It's a desk job. But you can make a pretty good living at it. With a few years experience, as long as you're good, you can pull 6 figures.

What Girls Said 5

• It's great that you have ambition and drive and you're not just sitting on your ass staying unemployed (I would not be into a guy like that).

Most skilled trade careers here are very well paying. My brother is a mechanic and he makes a fair bit of money, and he's only been working for 3 years. I know someone else who is working as a rigger in the oil sands in Alberta and he makes nearly $100K.

• Look down on? Never. My s. o is a baker & confectioner and to watch him do something like a wedding cake is a beautiful thing.

• Wedding cakes are pretty cool. They can be super elaborate! My parents cake apparently had a working water fountain in it, when they were married. :O

• Thats pretty cool:-) But I know it drives him insane when on a lot of the shows now about bakeries (like cake art) show a beautiful "cake" with fantastic intricate piping but it not actually cake its styrofoam

• I have no issue with it, and Anyone that looks down on a working man, doing a legitimate job has issues

• Thing is, I'm going into more of a "white collar" kind of trade. It's a desk job. It's not physically "labor intensive" work, like a blue collar "working man" type of job.

• I see... you just meant it as a guy who is employed, not exactly in the "working man" context. ;)

• Not in the blue collar aspect, no. Lucking I didn't assume is was, since you said its office work. :)

• Nothing wrong with working in the trades. There is a big demand right now for skilled trades. Once your established most of these jobs pay real good money.

• In Australia a lot of guys get qualified in a trade rather than going to uni and end up earning far more than most uni qualified people. If anything, tradesmen are glorified here.

"Tradies get the ladies".

• It's funny because in the mechanical engineering field, a lot of employers are looking for designers coming out of trade schools with mere Associates Degrees as well, so in a way, they are glorified here too, at least in this particular avenue.

• Mining out in the Outback? ;) lol

What Guys Said 2

• Who gives a shit what people think. Electricians can make more than I do.

• Just curious ya know?

• Regarding Bill Gates... true. Or any other wildly successful entrepreneur lol.

• That's true too! Haha!

• Usually they think:
    - hawt
    - hawt
    - hawt
    - good potential for starting your own company

A guy on MISC makes 250k a year w/ a landscaping company all by himself. Mind blow pew pew pew.