Is it weird if a 16 year old girl is dating a 19 year old guy?

I ask this because it's a 3 year difference and some people find that weird.

Most Helpful Guy

• I know a friend who had a relationship with a 21yr old guy when she was 15-16, they had sex too. It really isn't that big a deal, their families didn't even mind knowing about their relationship, they lived together for 2 years at one of their families. It was a safe relationship under the unique circumstances.

I'm 21 and my last relationship was with an 18yr old, 3 year gap. The public acceptance for age gaps increases as we age out of adolescence into adulthood. The general conception is that young people don't know everything, despite knowing a lot, there's still a chance of obliviousness to possible harm. And that's why even a 3 year gap with a 16yr old (or teens in general) is frowned upon. This does not mean the 19yr old isn't a good person and won't harm, abuse or take advantage of the 16yr old, it's just that these bad things happened often enough that society and law try to say it isn't right.

Live your life, but be careful.

What Guys Said 10

• If she has a drivers license she is legal. But in the USA laws have become kind of crazy making the entire nation either paranoid or self righteous.

Don't ever take pictures. But have fun. Ask for a previous metal ring before physical relationships are allowed past kissing holding hands, and outside clothing. Put a ring on you and him before letting them in.

Other than that never exceed double the years of your own experience.

• It's only "weird" because in some jurisdictions, he is an adult and she is a minor, who is legally incapable of making rational decisions for herself. The weirdness comes from the relationship being between a man and a girl.

If they're both legally considered adults, then almost no one cares about a 3-year difference.

• The age difference isn't what makes it weird. A 3 year age difference is nothing, however the stages you are in life is what makes it different. A 43 year old with a 40 year old is way way different from an 18 year old and 15 year old. Or for another example a 35 year old with a 30 year old woman compared to a 15 year old with a 10 year old girl get my point/? He's an adult you on the other hand are still a kid. And that is what makes it weird if not even considered a bit of pedophilia to some.

• ummmmm yeah there might be something wrong if a college age guy wants to date a high school girl

• Not weird at all. I dated a couple of girls, they were 17 and I was 20 and 21. We had a lot of fun. Age isn't as much a factor as is how you click. The people that criticize you probably wish they had a 16 YO GF.

• At this age it is a little much but in 2 years, nobody will care or even think about it.

• lol that's nothing.

• Everything is possible in your America. :)

• I believe the term is illegal rather than weird, if you two are boning anyhow.

• Perfectly healthy. Don't waste time with those saying it is weird :)

What Girls Said 11

• In general I think anyone 18 or older interested in a 17 or younger person is kinda weird. No offense and also it depends on your back story with each other and what not. Like if you two have been good friends since kids, families know each other and don't mind, go to the same school, etc then it takes it towards a different road.

• It is not weird , 3 years is nothing. I don't want to sound like grandma as if care, is it even legal?

• That's not weird. That's actually kind of normal. 3 years isn't much at all

• 3 years is not weird just that in some countries it's already considered illegal since he's already over 18 and u ain't... but it's not a big deal..

• My parents are 7 years apart so nop. Just don't do nothing dumb since you are underage and he can get in trouble.

• No it's not weird. Every guy I go on dates with is at least 3 years my senior. You're most likely mature for your age, or he's immature for his.

• nopeeee, totally normal :)

• Nope not at all

• nope i'm 20 and he's 26 and we have two babies together not weird at all :)

• nothing is weird in the love world:)

• Well she's probably still in high school and he's in college so a little but not I guess love is love