Do you think a relationship would work out if you know that your partner has totally different political views?

okay so i do not mean "i am a democrat and don't wanna date a republican" kinda thing but i am more talking about values...
i am from Europe and my country has a social welfare system so the more you earn the more tax you pay and if you loose your job you get money and if you are old you get money and you only have to pay for uni 30$ per semester and everyone has to be insured ect.
i am a very carrying person, seeing poor people makes me usually always sad and i think about a few euros mean a starbucks coffee for me but probably a whole lunch for them and thus i am actually pretty happy with that system, even though i know that it is not really fair if my father works long hours and has to pay more tax which is redistributed to people who are too lazy to work
so i get to know this guy and actually i am on my exchange semester so we are now only communicating via Facebook but he seems to be very politically interested as he comments on political articles every day and he seems to be against this social system and he seems to like the most right party and with right i mean the leader seems not to like foreigners a lot...
i kind of understand him if i take into account that he comes from the capital city and a lot of foreigners from a certain non-european country, which has completely different values and a completely different religion live there and i guess quiet some of them exploit this social welfare system but still i simply disdain this party also for many other reasons like leaving the e. u., the leader was accused of having been in the nazi scene in his youth ect...
i am not really sure if i could live with a person who has such completely different views and i somehow think we are heading towards a relationship once i am back home again and i really don't want a broken heart...

Most Helpful Guy

• Republicans rule! Haha Jk I'm a republican but I really don't care if somebody has opposing viewpoints, I think it'd be interesting to learn more about their viewpoints. People go way too far with politics, more than they need to, but I had a girlfriend who was a democrat. I really didn't care, but we'd tease each other a couple times :D that was about it. Everything should be fine, just don't keep brining it up or saying this should be like this because then we'd get mad :) haha republicans have a reputation for getting mad ;)

What Guys Said 4

• if your going to get politics in the way of your dating then you really need to reevaluate yourself. I know thats harsh but im sorry... because its little stupid things like this that just make people hate each other to begin with... and it has nothing to do with how you feel about one another after a while.

• It can work but you have to be willing to separate your personal lives from your political views. If that's too hard, don't bother.

I trt to think of the negative things that apply to the opposite view that I have and assume the politicians in my party are the same way. It keeps me humble.

• no
    i don't think so

• I am a moderate, and I understand economics. Unless a person understands econ, they don't have the right to enforce legislature, otherwise they'll screw everything up. The gap between this and politics is the reason countries are backwards.

Views are directly tied to peoples values and philosophy. Radically diff views are the same as radically diff political opinions. No, it probably won't work out.

• well i study economics and business administration and he studies just business administration, so i do have a quiet deep understanding of this shit as well but he probably not really... in my opinion the leader just says what the least educated people in my country think so he is popular and will be re-elected...

• You can't go to business school unless you understand econ. The two are not mutually exclusive. One focuses a little more on finacial cycles and such, business admin focuses on how a business works.

What Girls Said 2

• Well, this stuff happens all the time. But it is very possible to have a bf even if he has a different view. Just try not to bring up politics as a regular conversation.

• Differences make life more interesting if they thought the same as you, you'd lose interest quickly!