How can a guy say he likes you, but doesn't want to date you/see a future with you?

Makes no sense. I feel like certain guys have the habit of saying "I like you" but it's not really enough to encourage them to actually settle down with you. Has "I like you" started to become something that is lightly thrown around without substance? Or does I like you just mean, you're cool? Then why not just say.. I think you're cool...

Most Helpful Guy

• The guy is saying lightly he likes you but not ready to date you maybe
    he is interested in other girls, I'm very shy i have a major problem
    telling a girl i like her more than friend , i don't mean to be that way
    it just so happens to be like that with me, i just numb completely up
    i get this major cold feeling inside, nerves in stomach, the strong love
    is there in me but it's just I'm way to shy, over time i have started to
    open up more which i feel good about doing it's improved lot

• Well that's good, and happy that you've been able to open up more. Honesty does go a long way. Like I've stated below, he's a very honest and open person and is never bashful about anything that comes out of his mouth. He has known me for a good amount of time to know that he has nothing to hide from me. He does tell me often that he gets jealous of the idea of me being with another man or potentially getting with another guy but would never stop me from being happy if that person makes me happy. I just dont get it if you're jealous over other men, say you like me.. but don't see enough in me to want to tell me you'd like to be exclusive. I mean. I don't know.

• Thank you! Much appreciated!

• Your Welcome:) xD

What Guys Said 3

• If he likes someone else more and/or thinks he can do better than you, he could say that.

• People don't want to hurt other people's feelings. Imagine telling a guy "you don't like him." For most people that is very uncomfortable. It sucks. But most of the time it's the truth.

• He's a very honest and open person he usually would never disclose something purposely to shield my feelings. He would just tell me.

• Whaaat. That's crazy, I don't get it either.

What Girls Said 5

• He is probably scared to commit, doesn't see a lot of interest in you yet, he could be liking other girls, or something else but I'm sure it's not you. It's more of a persona issue for him.

• He likes you, he just doesn't like you enough. Ya know?

• There is something or maybe a few things about you that don't check off on his checklist of wife material. You may get along and be attractive but you're just not the type of girl he imagines marrying.

• He never wants to get married, but maybe not the girl he sees something long term with. Understandable.

• Haha it's okay. Boys are confusing :)

• Haha either that or too simple for the complex female mind. One or the other. I'm not really too bothered as I am quite happy in my current situation, just don't understand the whole point of letting me know as I never asked hah

• They like you but they are not in like with you. There's a difference

• Agreed... its all about the amount of effort or sacrifice or hassle it will cause him...
    So his feelings for you are not enough to give you what you are asking for whether its a diamond ring or monogamy