How do you politely decline a date?

Some of us have been there probably, a guy/girl is asking you out but you don't want to go because you just know you'll just be annoyed by your company so you'd rather stay at home than going out with him/her (even if it's just to the movies). How do you decline the date without being rude or hurting someone? I'm in the situation now. A guy who kind of annoys me asked me if I wanted to go to the movies with him, he has free tickets to the avant premiere of that new step up movie, I just said I didn't fancy going. He asked me 3times in 10 minutes and I kept saying no. So it's quite getting on my nerves, which leads to the second question: how do you keep polite when someone asks you out to the same thing 3 times (or even more) in 10 minutes?
Stories can be shared too!

Thanks for all the replies!

Most Helpful Guy

• Haha, we're from Belgium... with our 3 governments and 6 parliaments we're good in politics!
    Certainly, don't tell him you don't have time since he'll ask it again.
    The best thing is probably to be kind and frank at the same time: you don't want to hurt him so tell him that you need to be honest with him. That you appreciate the question but that your feeling just says no.
    If he asks why, you could say you just don't feel a click with him, without disliking him.
    Correct, but diplomatic :-)
    Groetjes!

• Well, if he's asking me out to the same event three times in not even ten minutes, I doubt he'll understand that my feelings say no. He'll just ask it again and then I'm afraid I'll lose my patience.
      So yeah, I guess I'll just have to be frank and tell him I'm not into a date with him.

• Won't be easy but... succes!

What Guys Said 8

• Simple, just be blunt and say no you're not interested in hanging out with him.
    If he asks you 3 times in 10 minutes you have authorization to be firm and then rude.
    You don't want to hang around someone that won't take no for an answer.

• honestly, if you're going to turn a guy down just be straight with him and keep it on point.

• Hm, yeah, but I thought that by doing that it'll make me sound rude or a bitch...

• that's why you do so politely. and if you stay on point then it becomes clear to him.

• Tell them, you already have a boyfriend / girlfriend
    or that there's someone else you like. :3

There's also the chance that he just didn't want to
    go alone, but didn't have anyone to go with.

• Yeah, it could be the last thing, I hope it is, but he asked me this weekend if I was going to this or that party so he could see me again.

• you tried to be polite. Some guys just don't get it and there is nothing you can do but be blunt with him.
    so tell him "look I have already told you a number of times I am just not interested.."
    he will get it then.

• decline most politely like that: "NO" okay to break it down. I know well those excuses and they just piss of "we should do something next time" "I can't right now" "I'm busy" (while she lays at home and asks why she has no bf. the worst way is to lie about it

• I didn't lie, didn't use an excuse because I know that leads to more asking...

• Haha, ok, so my "no" wasn't too rude since I don't feel like being friends with him either. Thanks for the reply :)

• maybe do one of the things I've posted under @NoblesseOblige 's opinion. you'll have fun

• Well, if you've politely and clearly declined, and they keep asking, you've already been dragged out of the realm of politeness...

• "I'm gay."

• He already knows that's not true :(

• maybe "can I tell you a secret? I've got a dick"

• the guy would instantly run away when a girl with a banana in her pants walk towards his way. and if he asks if thats a joke "no, my penis just grow and your apearence made me horny."

• Just be honest, I mean what are you scared of exactly?

• Not scared of anything, I just don't wanna be rude.

• That's true, thanks :)

• Don't mention it.

What Girls Said 6

• You can either be straight to the point and tell him you honestly don't want to go with him, but you have to only tell him once and then after that just flat out ignore him. Make sure you are clear that you don't want to go with him anywhere and anytime soon.. Or you could say you already have a a bf or someone your interested in. But the best way is to be straight forward and to the point

• I prefer always being honest and direct. There is no actually a certain kind way. At least I try to make it as clear as possible, I don't like those games anyway.
    Keep saying that you're not interested. They will get bored at some point.

• I'd usually say either one of these:
    "Sorry I'm not looking for anything beyond the friend level"
    or
    "Sorry, not trying to sound rude but I'm not interested"

• just say sorry i can't

• "Im sorry, you are a really nice guy, but im just not into you in that way, I hope you understand :) "

• just say, "thank you for the offer, but really, im not interested in that kind of relationship right now." something like that.. or plainly tell him you don't want him to get the wrong impression, and that you'd rather stay friends. if he can't accept it like a man then he's not worth your time

• I don't like the 'right now' thingy. thats not stright enough for 'some' guys.

• then just tell him you straight up have no interest in ever being in a relationship with him. you have to be stern to get the point across. it won't come off as rude. if he gets butthurt, then he needs to relax and stop thinking just about himself.