Can guys be ''JUST'' be friends with a girl when she is ugly?

Ok, so I know that guys and girls cannot be friends if the girl is at least somewhat attractive to the guy..
but WHAT IF the girl is like, super duper ugly? Although she is ugly, she has an amazing personality. Also, the girl is not interested in finding a boyfriend or sex, therefore not interested in you.
do you think it is still possible to be platonic friends? or are you going to want sex in the end anyway?

Most Helpful Guy

• Girls and guys can be just friends, it just depends on the grounds on which the friendship starts and whether there is any physical attraction. I think in a lot of cases, guys or girls become friends with people they are interested in but don't think they have a chance with in order to get closer to them. In this case, they will probably never be truly just friends because the relationship began with one being attracted to the other. Same thing is one is interested in the other but one or both are in a relationship or otherwise unavailable at the time.

In cases where the friendship begins as just that, it is much easier for them to remain that way in the future. It is definitely a possibility one or both will develop feelings for the other in the future, probably particularly so with the less attractive one towards the more attractive one (or either way if of similar attractiveness). I'm currently dealing with this with a good friend who I developed feelings for and who agreed to a date in the fall if things don't change for either of us (yup, things are gonna get awkward). But I also have a bunch of female friends who I'm not at all interested in anything but friendship with (as in wouldn't want to date or hook up with). While I wouldn't say any of them are ugly, I don't find them particularly attractive, which I guess probably makes the friendship work.

So after rambling for a while, I guess my answer is yes, a guy can be friends with a girl he doesn't find physically attractive. It's probably less likely with a girl he is physically attracted to, because if they look good and you like their personality, why wouldn't you want to date them?

What Guys Said 6

• i can't really answer this...
    i thought i could but couldn't. Its not that i've had an ugly friend... but i've had friends with ugly friends... and that caused massive problems for me. See my on and off girlfriend Kayla was great, funny, smart, cute, nerdy sometimes, great legs, yet sadly she came with a package.
    that package was Madison -_-... this bitch would not stop. She consistently complained that i didn't give her any attention.
    We are now separated... but Kayla would be great on her own, except the package thats stuck with her won't go away any time soon ^_^

• im friends with both types. I got my hot friend girls I go to the beach with and I got my ugos friend girls that I still go to the beach with hahaha. we're all friends.

• No guy can put a girl completely in a 'friendzone', no matter how she looks... cause a drink composed of one shot alcohol, half a shot of boredom, another half a shot of loneliness will eventually lead to the bedroom and a hangover called 'what the hell did I just do?"

• i have lots of friends who are girls. one is drop dead gorgeous and i admit thats what got me talking to her at first but i consider her just my friend and i like that. the other is average and we flirt a lot but again i just consider her a friend n think nothing of our flirtyness other than banter. i got another1 whos ugly n she likes me but she's just a friend.

• Ya it's possible.

• if she´s super duper ugly, she will never be more than a friend xD sad but true (well as long as he´s not the same way too)

What Girls Said 3

• The first thing I want to say is that in my honest opinion I do think girls and guys can be friends. I myself have more guyfriends than girl-friends. I do have, and not to sound arrogant in anyway, a lot of guyfriends who had developed feelings for me and I rejected them as I didn't find them attractive enough. You could find that harsh but we all know that looks matter too. Anyway, I do have some great guyfriends who I am just friends with and nothing more. Even with some of the guys I rejected I'm still friends and the friendship is working great.

Ofcourse, I get your point, I kind of had a crush on my best guyfriend back then and now it feels as if the friendship was shattered into pieces and put together with ducttape. But that doesn't stop me from being friends with guys.

About your question: I do have some guyfriends who aren't really attractive and who I am really just friends with, but often they are in fact interested in finding a girlfriend and that makes it all not work out. Then again, I do have this one friend who I didn't find attractive at all when I first met him and he wasn't looking for any kind of relationship as well, now we're best friends, but I've got no idea what kind of conclusion I'm getting out of this.

What I'm saying is that no matter how you look or how you act, ofcourse you will get friends - either girls or guys. And yea, it will happen sometimes that one of you starts getting feelings for the other person, or maybe even the both of you, but that's life to be honest. Don't overthink it. It's just the way it goes.

When you next meet someone, don't ask yourself questions like "will I start liking him?", "will we be able to be just friends?", etc. Just go with the flow. What happens, happens.

• You can be friends with both very attractive, and less attractive people.