Do people go to actual traditional dates these days?

It's very rare that I hear anyone I know going to an actual date. It kind of seems that people just meet and start hanging out and relationship progresses from there.

Most Helpful Girl

• Personally, while I enjoy the concept of a date, most of my relationships have started when I met a guy through friends/work/family etc., we hung out a bit, and then eventually started dating. That's not to say we never actually went on traditional dates- we did, it just wasn't how we started the relationship.

One my friends told me she and her husband make it a point to have "date night" once a week- a night where they spend actual time together as a couple, even if it's just hanging out watching a movie. And once a month, they actually go out on a traditional date. She says it keeps them from getting bogged down in the day to day and neglecting their relationship. I think it's an awesome idea and one I'd definitely try if I were living with a guy/married.

• Okay, It's good to know that people are still making the effort. I kind of like the idea of a classic date.

What Girls Said 7

• With my bf and me at the beginning we went on dates, but when we got comfortable it seems to mainly just be going to his house and watching TV. It can sometimes be a pain, but whenever we go out for a walk or something if I express my joy and happiness at such a nice sort of quality-time we seem to do it more often :)

• Yes, they do. I'm 27 and have been in 4 serious relationships in my life. All but one of them started with us going on dates and having a "courting" period... The only one that started with "hanging out" was in high school, when we were 17. My current boyfriend and I live together and we still go out on dates--out to dinner or lunch, to see a movie, visit a museum, picnic in a park, etc... at least once a week. It gives you a sense of where your relationship came from and why you're together.

• We most certainly do. The problem is that girls don't demand it as much, I'm in college and people just sleep around with whomever, whenever. Which, is totally fine. But don't complain that you aren't getting the respect you deserve because you never required the guy to take out or doing something even remotely gentlemanly. Take the extra step, it goes a long way, trust me.

• I expect traditional dates, combined with normal hanging out.

• Going to lunch or grabbing a drink seems to be the most common form of dating.

• Define "traditional date".

• I agree. Nowadays people retrieve your number, start texting. Then all of a sudden there's a relationship out of the clear blue sky. Some people still date though, but it's a bit rare.

What Guys Said 6

• I've see both happening. im actually doing both:P depends on the girl I guess whether I want to wine and dime her or just go out and have fun hahaa

• Depends on the individuals in question I guess. Most of the people that I know that come from more affluent families like mine tend to go for the traditional types of dinner dates, where as the people that aren't, tend to go for the "hanging out" type.

• sure I do. plenty of people I know go on "traditional" dates

• Isn't "starting to hang out" basically what dating means?
    I might be missing out on a definition here.

• Yeah haha! was thinking the same thing!

• LOL!!! Right. I think he means the classic take a girl out to dinner all the time or something. Don't nobody have money for that shit all the time.

• Yeah I just realized it's kind of the same thing. What I meant was the classic stereotypical dates.

• I know plenty who do. it is just that more and more people prefer to 'hang out' or 'chill' at first and get elaborate when the relationship has been defined i. e when exclusive. Unless people involved have jobs i don't know many people who go on 'traditional dates' in the early stages

• My girlfriend and I still go on classic dinner dates but its pretty expensive and I hate dressing up so we like to hangout more often.