How do you convince your parents to let you start date?

I'm 13 and I believe that people should start dating around the age of 14 or 15. But my parents have a couple thought about that. No dating till I finish college! I was like WHAT? Do you agree with my parents or me?

• Parents
  • Me
Thanks for all the advice! This really helped!

Most Helpful Girl

• First of all, you have absolutely NO business dating until you're 16. Just WHERE do you expect to go out to when you can't drive? Nothing more awkward than your parents driving you on your "dates."

College is just something parents tell their kids to make them stop thinking of dating. When you're 16 most parents change their minds.

Just go with their plan for now and readdress it when you're 16. You're on track to ruin any form of a good solid relationship if you fight them on this now. So just let the boys go for a while until you're actually legally able to go out and do stuff.

What Guys Said 3

• I don't agree with your parents after college is kinda too far. and 14-15 is an okay stage, can't really do much so a lot of stupid can happen easily.

• I can understand your parents not thinking you are ready at 13, but after college is way to late to start dating. You will end up falling for every player, simply because you won't have learned the important skills, such as how to recognize when a guy is using you. It would make way more sense for you to date boys that are also learning, and not start with dating grown men.

Your parents CAN'T make you wait until after college. The moment you hit 18 you will be an adult and won't need their permission. Maybe when you are closer to 16 your parents might be more inclined to listen to reason, and let you date. Until then don't do anything that would make them think you are too immature to handle dating.

• Dating in a serious matter? Yes, after college.

"I'm horny" dating? That's up to you, but I tend to think that 17 is the right time to start going after that.

What Girls Said 3

• I know I'm totally about to sound like an old lady here, but I promise I'm not. I'm 21, I'm in a sorority, I go to a good college and I wasn't allowed to start dating until I was 17. You literally miss out on nothing, I promise you. Wait till you are at least old enough to drive to your first date by yourself.

• I think a good dating age is probably 15-16 personally :) Because I agree with the others, there's not much to really do before that age xD

• I think around 16 is a good dating age :)