What's wrong with dating a 17 year old when you're 20-30?

I'm just curious what people will say.

What are your opinions? and What do you think and why?

Most Helpful Girl

• The problem is that in many places 17 is underage and therefore it is illegal and considered statutory rape.

I don't have a problem with age differences. If you're 25 dating a 40 year old, that's cool. But one of the issues with someone as young as 17/18 is they are impressionable and can more easily be manipulated. So even if it's legal, people might look down upon a 30yr old dating a 18 yr old because they're worried that the 30yr old is manipulating the 18yr old. I'm not saying that's true, there are definitely some mature 18 year olds, but that may be one reason why people would think it's weird.
    Another thing is maturity. Someone who's just out of high school is going to act differently than someone who's already 4 years out of college and in the "real" world of having a full time job. If the 18year old is super mature and you guys can make it work, then that's great! But it may be hard to work out simply because you have different life experiences.

What Girls Said 6

• It's not legal to have sex so it's fine but I'd still wait till they were of age to consent before making a move.

• Just the idea of it is gross. A 17 year old still sounds like a child. If it were a 27 year old with a 30-40 year old i'd have no problem with it.

• A lady I work with has a 17 year old (VERY promiscuous) daughter. She recently started dating this 26 year old who has a child, baby mama drama, has a shitty job with no education and is mixed up in some gang related activity. It's insane to me that the mother sees nothing wrong with this. She even lets her daughter have sleepovers at this guy's apartment.

• 17 is underage lol depending on where ur from

• Date who you want as long as it's legal. I don't care

• the fact that they're significantly younger (when you're under 20 even a year makes a difference) which means you have a power dynamic, the older person holds the power over the younger one. when you have a power dynamic that makes it rape.

What Guys Said 4

• I was 23 when I started dating my wife, she was 17. Before our first date while we were still just talking I remember asking friends and family what they thought. No one had a problem with it. She turned 18 three months later, so by the time we progressed to being physically intimate she was of legal age, so that turned out ok. Age is really just a number. When we started dating everything clicked. Her family and friends were good with me, and mine good with her too. It all worked out. There was rough patches with being able to drink together and she was in school for years yet until she started working. You have to realize too that since she is a lot younger the way the relationship advances may be delayed. What I mean is, when you are already done school and working, once you meet someone and date for a couple years, then live together, you may be ready to marry and start a family at lets say around 28. She will need to finish school, and get her career going and all that, so she would be ready for children also when she is 28, but this makes you 33 or older. This is where the age gap can start to have complications. If you want to be married and start a family at 28, she would only be in her early 20's and perhaps not ready for that yet.

• maybe the fact that by the time they came out of their mothers vagina you would have already been walking around and maybe going to school.

• A good general rule that I've run by before is...

youngest dating acceptable:
    age/2 + 7

oldest dating acceptable:
    (age-7)+2

*for age > 14. This formula implicitly suggests that ages < 14 should not date and that as maturity increases, the range that you can date increases as well.

• This would suggest that the oldest she should be dating is 20 and the youngest is 15.5.

• Intuitively, I just feel that anything older than 20 or 21 just wouldn't work out well.

• if its legal, no problem in my view