Would you date someone that used to cut?

This question is mainly for guys, but girls are more than welcomed to put their input as well. So would you date someone who used to be a cutter or suicidal? What if they still are? Do you think that you could love them despite of that?

• Yes, I would love them no matter what
  • No, that's weird and depressing
  • Maybe if they promise not to do it again

Most Helpful Guy

• My girlfriend said that she would cut her boobs. Not because she was depressed or anything, but because she liked the sight of her blood. When her friends didn't believe her she began cutting her arms and thankfully one of her friends made her promise to stop.

To some guys she might have seemed crazy for doing that, but I kind of like crazy therefore it doesn't bother me. Being with her now, I would rather her not be hurting herself so if she started again I would make her stop. If it were out of depression then I would work with her and try to get her to respect herself.

What Guys Said 7

• yeah I would date someone that used to cut. I would be there for her and help her if she ever needed me.

• I'm normally kind of a dick and not very tolerant of flaws, but having been in a desperate, numb, cold place in the past is something I can't fault someone for. I think that the depths of our suffering, if we genuinely overcome them, define how resilient and capable we become in the future. Every serious relationship I've been in was with a girl who had been depressed in her teenage years, and both of them had cut. They were both awesome, amazing people as adults who took their own happiness and the well-being of others very seriously. The empathy, compassion, and strength that those bad experiences gave them turned them into the women I loved them for being.

• My sister used to cut herself, she is dating someone right now.
    Personally I wouldn't mind it either, I'd see it as something
    interesting to talk about, now or in the future whenever
    the person feels ready to open up about it :3

• I couldn't stand to see her hurt herself if we were together. If it was in the past, I'd be able to accept that. But it'd hurt me to know she's still hurting herself.

• I dated a girl who threatened suicide (after we got close, not before). That's an emotional nightmare I want nothing ever to do with again. I would never date a cutter, not ever. It's unhealthy and means she should be worrying about her psychological well being instead of trying to maintain a relationship.

• Yes I hope I could/would still love them and try and help them with the pain and hurt that's making cut.

• I did date someone back in highschool who use to cut

What Girls Said 3

• My fiancĂ© loves me despite my suicidal thoughts and past tendencies so yes.

• That kind of stuff really scares me. I used to know a guy that liked me and we were friends but he asked me out and I turned him down. Then my friend said that he cut himself because of me turning him down. It made me feel awful. I want to try to avoid people like that so they don't end up hurting themselves because of me. They're too emotionally fragile for someone like me.

• My bf still loves me to this day, knowing I used to cut and still sometimes get really depressed and have suicidal thoughts and get flashbacks. Even when I shut him out and try to push him away. He still cares and looks past all the bad because he see's all the good in me too.
    I'd date somebody who used to cut, and a lot of people would. If they love the person, they'll care about them and their well being no matter what.