Do you believe it's possible for people not to be attracted to their own race?

I've noticed few people in my life, even some on GAG who say they aren't attracted to their kind and would never date anyone of their race. To me, that's just weird. A person not finding a certain race attractive makes sense but how can you not be attracted to your own race? Personally, I think many of these people have either had bad experiences with the opposite sex of their race so they generalize or they believe they would look better in front of others for not dating their own kind. I have nothing against people dating others, I would too but to eliminate the possibility to ever date your own kind is strange and ignorant.

I've also noticed that the ones who say they won't date their own kind usually stick to dating just one particular race. As an Indian guy, I've seen few Indian girls who say they aren't attracted to Indian guys yet they only date white guys. They don't go for any other guys like black guys. And I've seen a handful of Indian guys who say they aren't into Indian girls yet they only approach or date white girls. Other examples which happen to be much more common are white girls saying they won't date white guys but only date black guys, Asian girls who say they won't date Asian guys but only date white guys, and black girls who say they won't date black guys but only date white guys.

I'm not against their preferences since it's their choice but I won't hesitate to say to these people that it's weird and a bit racist to your own kind. I personally don't see how it is possible not to be attracted to your own race like these people say but that's just me. I could be wrong but I highly doubt I am.

Most Helpful Guy

• I consider this racism at its finest. Not your question. I mean the fact that some people are not attracted to their own race. The thing is that it's really not their "preference", it's what the media told them. What's the common denominator in all of these people? They only want to date WHITE guys. What's so good about white people? I am white and there is literally no benefit.

If you look in the mirror and your skin is black and you're not at least attracted to black people too, there's something wrong with you. Same goes for brown people. Same goes for Asian people. Same goes for white people. It's one thing to have a preference or to date your race AND people of another race, but only the other race?

Notice how I have not mentioned "culture". If someone is going to refrain from dating people from a certain culture - that is different from race.

What Girls Said 6

• I don't believe you are biologically programmed to be attracted to you race - I believe people are attracted to their own race because that is what they are exposed to the most often and whatever you are exposed to is what you will like, love and enjoy. When I was in middle school, about 80 - 90% of all the people in my class were indian and I was attracted to indian guys. When I was in high school most of the guys in my class were european and I was attracted to french and german guys. When I was in University I was around a lot of black guys and I was attracted to black guys. Right now I've been hanging out with a lot of medeterranian guys and I like medeterranian guys. I know I spelled that wrong.

• I'm Asian and I have never dated an asian. Not because I don't want to, but because there are less Asian guys that I find attractive compared to other races. There have been a couple of my Asian friends I've found attractive, but not that many. I would date them if we match, so it's not like I'm against dating within my own race or anything... I also don't exclusively date one race. I date all races. Race or skin color is not important to me. What's more important is the culture and values. If the culture doesn't match with mine, then it's not going to work.

• You need to go where your heart tells you. When I have dated in the pass, I like guys that does not smoke and may have a drink now and then. but that is me and sorry to those that smoke I lost my mom to her smoking I stay away from guys or just people for that reason. I am looking for someone that likes family, works hard at what he does, treats me good, and I will treat him good to for example I am Italian and work hard at cooking. There is great Italian food, that I cook. BUT LOVE LOVE SPANISH. rice, beans, Chicken. It is hard for me to find guys that like all different types of food just not MEAT AND POTATOES, NEED to try different things. I like the person and not the color of his skin I HOPE THIS HELPS

• I do not see anything wrong with not being attracted to your own race. Since I was little I have always been attracted to one race, which is black guys. I'm Hispanic and yes, there are good looking men of many races out there, but have always preferred a black guy.

• yes it is possible

• I'm usually attracted to guys of other race. I guess it's because I grew up around people of other race and it became natural for me to find them attractive. Plus, the guys of my race here aren't attractive.
    When I see guys of my race on TV , I find them attractive, because they're not from here.
    But, it's a contradiction because I don't know if I could date outside my race. I would feel uncomfortable. I wouldn't stand the stares, the comments, the jokes and other problems that interracial couples face.
    I understand you and I agree with you at some points.

• Well, you do find guys of your own race on TV attractive at least. Your case is different since the ones in your area aren't attractive like you say. Anyways, you don't completely avoid the possibility of ever dating your own race though. Right? Since you have already been attracted to guys of your own race like the ones on TV.

• No, I don't eliminate this possibility. I think I would stupid and hypocrite if I did that.

What Guys Said 3

• I think in general they are simply being hyperbolic. In many cases, they probably feel the widest pool is such and such a race. Maybe they had a bad experience with one member of the same race and a good one with another.

Supposedly, part of our natural attractiveness is determined by what we see a lot at a young age, so this would most likely be family members and hence they would find their own same race attractive, whether or not they found others attractive.

• Some people are just weird in the head.

• it's not racist. that would be like saying it's racist to only be attracted to blonds. to someone in good shape. or tall. or sporty. you like what you like. nothing wrong with it.