Do guys mean it when they say they don't want a relationship right now?

Many times I've heard guys telling girls, "I don't want a relationship right now." usually after they'd kissed the girl and gone out on one or two dates. Is it a code they don't want a relationship with you? or do they actually mean they don't want to with anyone?

Most Helpful Girl

• Men put this little disclaimer on to make sure that if they found someone better that they can fall back on what they've said. Because almost always, they would certainly take on a relationship if they felt they met someone and couldn't stand the thought of her getting away.

It's putting insurance on their bullshit, really. Women do it too. If someone has already become physical and then says they don't want a relationship it means they are wanting the benefits of someone for sex but they want options in case they decide they want someone else or they want to break things off.

So many people say stuff like this because they also don't want to come right out and say they aren't interested in one particular person because they're feeling badly about hurting their feelings. So instead of saying so, they blanket the whole issue saying they don't want any relationship at all. It's funny though that since they want to skirt around hurting someone, ultimately they do when they turn around and start seeing someone else.

Yeah, I think it's code for they don't want a relationship with one person in particular. I've never met one person who said this who didn't have time for love in their life.

What Guys Said 3

• they mean they are not yet convinced that they wouldn't succeed as a "player", and don't want monogamy inhibiting their attempts.

but yes, if you want to know, if some extraordinarily attractive girl asked to be in a relationship with a guy who said he didn't want a relationship, his resolve would quickly fizzle.

• it could mean they just wanted you for sex but then realized it wasn't going to happen with a relationship or they're just trying to put you down nicely. they could just be being brutally honest even:P

• For me when I say something like that it means that I don't want commitment with this girl for now.

What Girls Said 2

• It means they don't want relationship... with you.

• They want sex not a wifey