Friend confesses that he likes me, I don't know what to do? please help?

So I've been friends with this guy for years but there have been some recent developments. He's confessed that he likes me and has done for years. I've liked him for a while but I've never dated, anyone, ever and I'm 20. I'm really scared of intimacy and feel that I can't give him what he deserves and that I'm never going to be able to fully commit to him. I think he deserves someone better, someone that can be there for him 100%.
I haven't replied to his texts in a while and I know I've hurt him but I just don't know what to do/say? I've told him how I feel before but he wants an intimate relationship. Every fiber of my being is hesitant about even kissing someone. I'm a little lost.
I think he's feeling rejected but I just can't deal with all of this, it's just too much for me. What should I say to him?
Please help. Thanks

Most Helpful Guy

• why ot take a leap in your life and see how things go? i would hate to look back in my life and see a good opportunity which i didn't take because i was affraid of what might happen

• But he deserves better? I've tried before but I'm just a little bit broken. How should I reply to his texts? He told me he liked me etc and then sent a sad face. This was 4 days ago.. I think I've made it worse.

• 4 days is way too long, you defo made it worse i would prefer a reply of rejection than silence :/ reply tonight and tell him what you want. also apologise for making him wait so long in anticipation

What Guys Said 1

• life is an ongoing learning experience, we all learn from the good and the bad, but you have to engage yourself to get it started

What Girls Said 2

• Be honest with him. Take a leap and just go with the flow. Text him back. Go on a date and see where it takes you.

• Go for it, instead of thinking," what if I get hurt?", think "this could be the beginning of something wonderful
    !" Source: Been there, done that!