Guys, why is model material not girlfriend material?

I'm 18 years old and have still never had a boyfriend. I really liked this guy for many years, and when I told him he said models are to fake and not girlfriend material! I've been runaway modeling for years now, so I don't think it has anything to do with my looks. I'm 5'10" so pretty tall for a girl. but this guy, he was 6'5"! Guys can you just tell me why guys think models are not girlfriend material?

Most Helpful Girl

• Many guys would kill each other for a Chance to date a model. That guy probably had a bad experience with a pretty girl/women and now he is jaded. As for why you haven't been asked out, you probably intimidate then. A lot of guys find it hard to approach women, let alone a gorgeous one. What about dating another model? They would have better insight as to what your life is like. As for that guy, forget him. You are better off.

• Thank you! My problem with another model is, they are awful! haha. I just model to put myself through college. I want something real, not fake. but thank you for your response!

• You know I had a lot of problems with guys approaching me in high school. One time a guy I really liked asked me to sit next to him, but I rejected him because normally guys didn't approach me. The point is, just because this guy rejected you, doesn't mean another total hottie won't fall in love at first site. Yeah I can see how a fellow model would be problematic. When a guy cares more about his appearance than a Model, well talk needy.

What Guys Said 12

• It may come to a surprise to most women, but very attractive girls are usually not asked out and they remain single for a very long time. This is a common complaint among supermodels. In reality, average and above-average looking girls are asked out a lot more than supermodel types.

When an average guy sees a supermodel, obviously she's attractive. But the average dude knows she is too pretty for him. We expect a supermodel to date Fabio or Brad Pitt. Not us. So we may gawk and stare at her from the other side of the room, but we never actually ask her for her number. The pretty girl standing beside the supermodel seems much more attainable and down-to-earth. Consequently, we walk towards both girls but end up talking to the pretty-average one.

Not only that, many guys will fear having to fend off other supermodel-type men from their supermodel girlfriend for their entire life. So it's more hassle than anything else.

However, the fact is, a model is no less of a human being than anyone else. She will want the affection and love of a guy. Like other women, she probably finds confidence and humor very attractive in a man. She probably does not make her dating decisions purely on physical attractiveness. If the average looking guy actually came up to her, showed some confidence and made her laugh, chances are she would fall in love with him. But most men won't have the balls to go up and ask the model.

We create this image of a model that we place so high on a pedestal inside our minds that we can't reach her.

• Many guys can assume that a "model" will be hit on so much that it would make it hard for her to stay faithful. So if he feels that you'll be hit on constantly he may avoid you. Plus, models can be very self absorbed so he may assume that everything is about how you look and how you feel and that potential narcissism may turn him off.

Many guys are turned off by girls who wear so much makeup. If a girl's putting in that much effort into her appearance it can easily mean that she wants to attract people to her that much and that she has no concept of natural beauty.

• but it's just a job, a way of earning money! it's not a lifestyle or a personality. It's a job. I don't walk around wearing coats of makeup. There are things much more important to me than my looks. I wouldn't judge whether I would date someone based on their job. so why should he judge whether he would date me on mine?

• I am guessing that he is assuming these things rather than getting to know you in depth. Just brush it off and consider it his loss really.

• I would say that the guy is pretty much just a dumbass that doesn't know what he is talking about. I have had plenty of female friends who were models, and dated a few myself. Just because a girl models does not make her any less intelligent or awesome or anything, and I know a lot of girls that modeled who had amazing personalities and were great people. Not to mention the fact that almost any guy would kill to date a model, the guy you liked was just misinformed and probably thought he couldn't get a model so he chose to bash them. Don't worry about him, most guys would love to date a model, especially one that seems as sweet as you!

• I can see, in some ways, why he would say this. I think a lot of models come off a stuck up bitches, most guys don't want to have anything to do with women who act like that. Secondly, if I as a guy was dating a model, I would always wonder why she was with me. I don't consider myself very attractive and would worry about her running off with another guy that was more attractive than me.

• cause models don't have good personalities all the time. i dated a model and she gave me a really terrible kiss and played way too many games, and was just overall difficult. most guys know models have obnoxious personalities so they just expect that.

• It's a job, a way of earning money! not a personality!

• ok, all i'm saying is, just because you or someone you know had a bad experience dating a model... doesn't mean we are all self absorbed and narcissistic

• Well i dont know about all of them but you are. You're making a huge deal over it just cause some guy says he doesn't want to date you. Are you really that self absorbed you need reassurance from everyone that its ok to date models? And why are you hating on me just because i agree with the guy? Yeesh, everyone is entitled to their own opinion

• cuz all they do is model. Yes... most are very attractive... but looks are only a part of what makes a good girl friend. Personality, sex, and how she acts as a girlfriend are other factors that make a good girlfriend. If i liked a model and she had a bad personality i would not date her.

• all they ever do is model? you could say the same thing for someone thats a doctor! That it consumes their life? but people don't judge whether they would date a doctor based on their job? do guys really judge whether they would date a girl by their job?

• only on some jobs. Im not saying all models are bad gf's but my friends have dated gf's that were models and were horrible gf's.

• The attitude and environment.

• stereotype much?

• I'm not stereotyping I just don't like a lot of the models attitudes they leave something to be desired. And I just don't like the environment fashion industry is not my thing I prefer older classic looks. And I just wouldn't be able to handle that kind of environment I need a simple down to earth girl.

• never heard model material not being girlfriend material. who doesn't like models?

• Woa. You must be kidding me :/. You dont have a bf?

• Cuz models tend to care more about their looks than the actual relationship.

• but its a job!! not a lifestyle, or a personality!

• Nah you're twisting things now. I know of doctors who date average women and are the happiest men on earth. I know of men who have dated models and it comes down to a break up or divorce because she chooses her "Modeling" over her relationship. Doctors actually hold a respectable career which shouldn't even be compared to modeling.

• Well, I'm a model and a Pre Med student. So i know what it's like to have a time consuming life and have to make choices when it comes to modeling, studying, or spending time with people. And i think it is a stereotype that models are like that. And when I open with, yeah i'm a pre med student, people don't judge me even though it is MORE time consuming than my modeling career.

• Models tend to put up a front... to protect themselves from jerks... when really the guy is a good guy, so, he probably writes you off as fake because you put up a front. Just be yourself, don't "protect" yourself

Bit of a quick BA, isn't it?

• it could be that female models and celebrities are too busy to be a girlfriend, guys want to be with a girl not be stressed into wanting to be with someone whos never there with him

What Girls Said 2

• Most entertainers aren't relationship material because they're around so much temptation that it's hard to stay faithful