Girls and Guys, is it okay to date your best guy friend?

I dont want to ruin our friendship but I really like him. And I think he likes me. We've only been friends for a year. Should I ask him out or what?

• Yes
  • No

Most Helpful Girl

• It's totally fine if you want to ask him out, but you have to realize and accept a couple of things:

1. The mere fact that you want to date him (meaning you have a crush on him), means that he's not simply a friend to you anymore but more than that. Even if you don't ask him out, your friendship as it used to be, is over already. That doesn't mean the friendship is over, it's just not as used to be. You feel differently about him. Things are changing.
    2. Before you decide to ask him out, be aware of the possibility of him rejecting and not reciprocating your feelings. And in that case, your friendship as it used to be will change even more severely and might possibly even end, in a worst case scenario.
    3. In case you ask him out and he agrees and actually feels the same way about you, your friendship as it used to be will change drastically as well, as it will simply not be a simple friendship anymore, for obvious reasons.
    4. If you get to date and it eventually does not work out, then it might be very tough, and possibly even impossible, to get back to a normal friendship.

It's okay if you want to ask him out, but keep those things in mind to avoid being hurt by things you didn't expect.

• I say no cuz it can ruin a friendship and my guy Friend gets mad easily but is a very nice guy and we've known each other since we were 3 but I still say no but it could b that I'm stubborn

• Thanks for MH. :)

What Guys Said 6

• You can date him, but you must also see that friendship and relationship have different approaches, so you may learn something about him you never have before, are you willing to take the risk that he does not show the same quality as he does a friend?

• This has really made me think about it. I don't know for sure yet. I do want to get to know him more than just a friend but I don't know if I'm completely ready for that.

• That's the problem. I can't decide.

• Well I'll address your next question that hasn't got a MHO selected.

• that is the best kind of relationship between a man and a woman is when it starts of as being true friends with each other.

• its ok to date him... should you do it? no

its kinda weird. like if it doesn't work out more likly you 2 will not talk again. If it works out then it will be a good couple. You never know

good luck! :)

• Yes, ask him! Best friends make the best lovers. They know you, inside and out.

• Ditto to what others said.

Dating a best friend requires a change in approach. There are some things that you can't be frank with anymore, like your feelings for him. There are also some things you have to do more now. Like flirting or teasing, or being there emotionally for him.

• You can, but, I highly suggest you don't

What Girls Said 4

• ok iv been put in this situation like twice, and its never gone further.
    what ill tell u, is NEVER to ask a man out, especially if he's ur best friend. if he finds potential there he'll ask u. dont b the one to chase him for love.
    currently actually, iv got a best friend who i feel really likes me but i think he's a little scared to tell me, for the same reason u mentioned- not to ruin the friendship. time will tell all my dear. you'll find eventually if it could possibly work out or not. good luck! x

• I just think if I don't ask him it won't ever happen. He's not one to ask a person out unless he knows for sure

• well dont u want him to know for sure that he thinks of u that way?
      or would u rather it just b one sided?
      i would really advise u to wait.. u dont wanna end up with a guy whom u love more than he loves u... it hurts.

• yeah it is totally ok, i dated my best guy friend for almost 3 years

• Actually it's the best option! =)

• Do you like him is the question.