What do you feel about text messaging in a relationship/dating?

I have dated a few younger ladies and I'm starting to notice that the use a lot more text messaging to talk rather than actually calling on the phone.

How do you think text messaging affects relationships and emotions?

• I primarily use text messaging to contact my partner.
  • I primarily call on the phone to contact my partner

Most Helpful Girl

• Well, younger people text a lot because they don't realize how important it is for a person to actually hear someone's voice . Texting is ok while you are working, etc .

But when dating, a more personal approach to communicating is very important . After you build an understanding with that person, it's ok to text .

What Girls Said 9

• I love texting in a relationship. I feel more open to say things on text that I am too shy to say over the phone. I hate uncomfortable silences on the phone so that's why I love to pop little messages throughout the day, it's like high school and passing love notes. It's also nice to look back on special messages you've received when you aren't able to speak to your love.

• Totally agree with you here. Love looking back at old sweet messages to make me smile

• Thank you! You've unlocked the mystery for me as to why a girl kept my text messages on their phone. I've even asked and I never got a straight forward answer. Sadly, I delete all of mine as I like a clean inbox.

• I didn't answer your poll because I use a mixture of both. My boyfriend sends me a good morning text everyday, which I love, and calls me on his lunch break! I see nothing wrong with text messaging as long as it is not your only form of communication. While I am at work I prefer to text because it allows me to keep doing what I am doing and still talk to him. Sweet random texts are the best, especially if I am having a bad day. If I get a text from my boyfriend saying " hey baby, I was just thinking about ya! Hope you are having a good day! " I immediately get a big smile on my face and my day is so much better. And my boyfriend loves to get random texts from me too. As long as you don't go overboard, like sending one every 5 min, I lthink they are great!

• Well I live with my boyfriend so we don't do either, we typically wait to get home and talk or we talk by gchat if we need something during the day. As for text messaging, isn't that how a lot of people communicate now. I think texting has replaced calling. I don't text but I see how it saves some time, if you just need to send a quick message. As for how it relates to the relationship, I'm sure it can make it a little more stale and impersonal, but that's just my opinion.

• Yea I have had a text relationship before. It was great at the time.

but now that I have had guys come into my life who act pick up the phone to call me. I enjoy that MUCH better! It goes to show how much you dig this person to PICK UP THE PHONE and call them just to hear there voice!

I don't know about you but If I like a guy and his voice on the other end of the line instead of a cop out text then it shows me that he is a stand up guy with nothing to hide.

I think because it's 2008 women have settled for less then what they deserve and that is a text message from the person there dating. Whatever happened to old fashioned phone calls through out the day just to say Hi?

Really, I say if you have a few min to text back and forth for 5-10 min then it does not take much to pick up the phone and call!

It has worked for me so far and I don't plain on changing it.

• I text more reason for me is because I'm kinda flustered when it comes unto voices.

But I think overall nowadays people say a lot more in messages than that of calling and maybe you express yourself more in writing than actually saying it.

• I pretty much use both, but if I am somewhere were it would be mean to be on the phone then I would text.

• Lol me and this guy have the same problem he has more to say in the txt and it sounds more meaningful to me and every time we get together he is so quiet but I think its okay I'm guessing because he's shy but once we hang out more we will b ok just give it time that's what's in txt good luck

• You don't really get to know the person real well when your texting instead of calling them. They affect the relationship because you don't get to hear their voice or even get to know them better.

• I love texting. I Love talking on the phone too. But it feels so good to receive a cute text randomly during the day, like awww he's thinking about me!

What Guys Said 5

• I have a buddy who's the same as me, so I know I'm not alone in this, but I just hate using the phone. My worst information skill is audio, so I have trouble just following a conversation on the phone. Most of a conversation for me is spoken in body language. So for me, talking on the phone is very awkward and gives me a lot of anxiety. So I use text messages. Plus with text, you can send goofy little messages to your partner letting them know you're thinking about them.

• I think text messaging should be used in addition to phone calls. Its always more personal to receive a phone call and actually hear the other person's voice. Also, you can say more to the other person, because its faster. Texts are OK to use for short messages or where you can't call or get to a phone. But I don't think they should totally replace the phone call.

• Personally, I pickup the phone and call. I only text if I know she may busy/meeting or she may already be asleep. A "Sleeping? " is less intrusive than the ringer blasting away.

• I think text messaging is ok, some girls get carried away with it and text every 2 seconds. Its almost like having a pen pal but over the cell phone. I would rather hear her voice instead of a stupid text. And with text messaging there is a higher rate of text break-up's What ever happened to a face to face break up?

• My girlfriend loves it when I call her because I used to be so shy that I would only ever text her when I first met her! (lol) She used to want to talk to me but I would only just text her most of the time and only call her occasionally. She got a new cell phone recently and her texting rates are sky high, so we call each other now instead, and she loves that! I'm still quite shy with her, but she makes it easier on me by always returning my calls and making me feel like she really wants to talk to me, which makes me feel better - less scared of rejection! However, I really did enjoy sending funny little messages to her via text because of being so shy! It's all good!