What are the differences in the dating world between the UK and the US?

Can you please shed some light on how the UK dating scene is different than the American dating scene? I will be heading to University in the UK from having been in High School in the USA. Also note that this is being asked by a shy guy, if that makes any difference. Thanks!

Most Helpful Girl

• I don't really know as I have never 'dated'. I'm weird though, if I like a guy I'll screw him and then figure out if I like him enough to keep seeing him, or even enough to let him be my boyfriend!

• I admire you, I wish I had a pair of balls to do stuff like that, I probably wouldn't have my V-plates if I didn't have such tiny balls.

• why thank you, two years engaged and counting! Can't really be bothered with the marriage bit now we live together!

• Well as long as it works for the both of you!

What Girls Said 2

• In my personal experience, men in the UK are more easygoing and relaxed. They are more confident at approaching people as it is in their culture.

I don't know what it's like in the US, but here people tend to say hi and even have casual chats about their lives with strangers, then part and never see each other again.

If you go into a pub, people will talk to you like you're an old friend. It's very friendly and relaxed and I was really surprised and still can't get used to it after years of living here.

• Guys in the US are more straightforward, if they want to ask a girl out on a date, they'll do it immediately. While guys in the UK are usually more reserved, they wouldn't be so open about it and would probably take it slow, even when asking a girl out.

• Is there anything that guys do in the US that would not be acceptable in the UK? Also, if a guy was more straightforward with UK girls, would they react negatively?

What Guys Said 5

• There is much more respect for women, and generally more regard for one another between the sexes

• I'd love to know that as well. I get the sense from Americans that dating is taken seriously as is the whole exclusivity talk. When me and my girlfriend first start seeing each other, she met my friends and I introduced her to them as my girlfriend and that's when we began the relationship.

Dating seems a lot more formal in the US than the UK, though I could be wrong.

• European girls (UK included) are more guarded, more uses to getting hit on by guys all the time, hence a tab more protective.

• Interesting, I thought they were more outgoing...

• Interesting, I thought it was generally the other way around. Thanks for your opinion.

• No, northern Europeans are more selective with friendships, it's harder to get in, but once you are, the friendships is for the most part lasting and trusting.

• Straight from the horse's mouth.

http://youtu.be/0GgHhOqUrUw

(Such a horrid idiom for such a pretty lady)

• Christ, Americans shouldn't do humour (Conan).

• No, just Conan haha. Much prefer craig furgeson.

• Americans love Conan and that's all that matters. :-)

• people are much shyer in the uk than the usa. its pretty damn rare for men to confidently approach women even in bars and clubs. its virtually unheard-of for a man to approach a woman anywhere else. needless to say, women basically dont approach either

• oh also people dont really go on dates in the uk. they just hang out. tho the usa is increasingly becoming like that too

• *less social

• Well I think that should suit me well, not being a very fast in terms of pace with these sort of things. Thanks!