Is it normal to not talk on the phone before a first date? What's acceptable nowadays?

I have noticed that a few guys I've met and who have asked me out (in person, not online dating), don't necessarily call me after they get my number, they text instead. I am used to at least talking on the phone once before a first date, but maybe I am being too rigid. My friend says it doesn't serve a purpose if you chatted when you first met and know that you will be chatting on the actual date- you want to have things to talk about when you see each other. Thoughts?

Most Helpful Guy

• well I don't think it really matters nowadays. i called a girl to ask her if she wanted to hangout for coffee and then i texted her if she was ready for a date. i think its mostly the younger crowd but i think its also personal preference.

What Guys Said 2

• Yes, most of the formalities are being dropped. And isn't it for the better?
    .

• I agree with your friend. It could also be that they are respecting your space. Lord have mercy on us men if we over step any boundaries you may have; Last thing we want is for you to view us as clingy or disrespectful of your personal time. Know what I mean?

What Girls Said 1

• It can go either way. If you talk too much you may not have anything to discuss on the date. What matters more is how he follows up after the date.