Should we break up while I'm abroad??

Ok. I totally don't know what to do in this situation and my friends have been NO help (they're all too biased) so please please give me some advice!

My boyfriend and I have been together for 2 months. We have a good relationship, lots of fun and laughter and we treat each other well and with respect. When we first started dating we both wanted to take it slow and just have fun since neither of us want anything serious, but after awhile we started to like each other so much that we decided to try the boyfriend/girlfriend thing. And its been great so far.

In a few weeks, I will be going to Sweden for a month. Since we have not been together that long, it seems silly to stay committed to each other during this time. I am doing a research project over there that will keep me very busy, and I don't plan on spending a ton of $$$ on international phone calls, so we probably won't even talk that much while I'm there.

I have been wondering if we should "take a break" while I'm gone and see each other again when I get back, if it feels right. I want both of us to be able to have fun and we just aren't emotionally attached enough to justify carrying on that kind of commitment when we will be basically nonexistent from each other's lives for a month. We are both fun-loving, sexual people and I would rather acknowledge this and take a break than try and delude ourselves that one (or both) of us won't lose interest or cheat while I'm away. It seems like the more honest and realistic thing to do. But then again I worry that taking a break will ruin the relationship, and I'm not sure how he will react if I bring it up. What do you guys think?

Most Helpful Guy

• First off, ask him what he thinks is going to happen while you're in Sweden. Does he assume you will stay together? Does he assume you will break up? This could help with your decision.

Second, if you decide to stay together use the Internet as an alternative to spending money on international phone calls. You can use Facebook, MSN, Skype, etc just to name a few. All will cost you no money provided you both have computers.

Normally, I would suggest there's no point trying to do long distance after only 2 months of dating... BUT you are only gone for a month so it's not quite the end of the world and could be done depending on how much you two are committed to each other.

• That's what I was thinking. Thanks for your response...

What Guys Said 1

• I assume you're going to Sweden for a sex change operation, and hence the question, "Should we break up while I'm a broad". I think it will be easier for him to take if you, as you say, "break up while you're a broad", rather than put him through the shock of your breaking up with him after you become a man. All the best to you.

Oooonly kiddin!

• Hahaha. Verrrry funny ;)

What Girls Said 1

• If you really like him and feel that you can survive a month apart from each other and get back to normal when you are back then I say don't break up with him. This will be a good test for the relationship and if you are meant to be then you will come out of this the other side absolotuley fine. I'm a beliver in not giving up on a good thing straight away. You should always attempt to make it work.

You do not have to call. An email or internet call or msn chat every couple of days will be fine. That way you can still have contact with each other, see how each other is doing and won't have to spend a lot of money.

I would also recommend sitting down and talking to him like a grown up on a one to one basis about it. Let him know how you feel and what you want but see what he has to say and come to an agreement between you. Communication is key in any relationship and I'm sure he will appreciate you talking about it and finding out how he feels.

As you said, you have only just made it offical after saying you only wanted fun. Don't confuse the poor guy and mess him around.