How important is intelligence in a mate?

How important is intelligence for you in a mate?

In case some don't know, prerequisite means the person has to have it or he or she won't even be considered.

All comments welcome. Don't forget to vote.

• It's a prerequisite
  • It's a factor I consider important
  • It's a factor but not terribly important
    Vote C
  • Not a factor at all
    Vote D
Select a gender to cast your vote:
I would vote it's a factor I consider very important.

75

Most Helpful Girl

• It is the prerequiste of all prerequistes. If I don't feel like we're intellectually compatible... nothing is going to work. Basic conversations won't work, humor won't work, sex won't work, etc.

• Excellent. Thanks for stopping by and don't forget to vote if you haven't.

What Girls Said 6

• In my experience I need a some sort of education beyond high school. masters, 2 year degree, certified welder, anything.

The guys that have jumped threw the hoops to achieve something are motivated to do something with their lives. The super smart guys that only have a high school degree are very book smart a politically savy, but they only want to fight the system. That's fine I respect you, but I have never found one of those guys very motivated to keep a job or pay their bills on time. In the end I need someone who wants to be my equal not someone I have to push to go to work or loan money to.

That's my experience.

• I've never loaned money to a gf, ever. Interesting. Thanks for stopping by and don't forget to vote if you haven't.

• There are different types of intelligence -
    If someone can engage in meaningful conversation then great!
    If they are very intelligent and feel superior to others because of it, that is a flaw.
    If they are average intelligence but have a hunger to learn, I love that.

It really just depends on personalities meshing well. :) There is a world of knowledge and no one is superior to another based on intelligence - everyone has their own thoughtful insight that is appreciated.

• they can be very intelligent without having a superiority complex though...

• They can. But they can also be intimidating perhaps. ? Like I said, there are so many different variations of "intelligence" in an individual.

• Thanks. I didn't have the motivation to define "intelligence" much. Just go with your own definition of it. Don't forget to vote if you haven't and thanks for stopping by.

• Just voted, however in my experience I find it extremely important in long term relationships. I'm really bias and I prefer my partner to be as smart if not smarter than me. Now if they are creative or have other kinds of factors that opinion can easily be changed. However I find intellectual conversation important when it comes to decision making.

• I'm intelligent myself and would like a guy to be as well or at least be open to being enlightened about things that I like to learn or discover and talk about. I was once with a guy that felt like I was always trying to make him look stupid all because he hated to be corrected or told he was wrong there is nothing wrong with learning from each other to avoid that again I would just prefer an intelligent guy that I can have decent conversations with.

• Understood. Thanks for sounding off. Don't forget to vote if you haven't.

• It depends on the person, but I want it and it's incredibly important to me.

• Thanks for stopping by. Don't forget to vote if you haven't.

• Important.. I like smarties

• I confess I kind of like smartasses. Sassy and intelligent = hot. Thanks for stopping by. Vote if you haven't.

What Guys Said 5

• It's THE prerequisite for me.

Now, don't get me wrong, I don't have some arbitrarily-set lower limit in terms of I. Q. or something like that ("nope, sorry, you're a 119 and I only date 120's and up"), but we DO need to connect on that level.

The kind of woman that wins my heart is one who can articulate herself well, who can form strong, educated opinions on things that matter to both myself and her as well, who can discuss artistic passions (music, literature, film, etc., etc., etc.) on an intellectual level, and who can challenge me with new ideas (and also be comfortable with me doing the same for her).

That is wildly, wildly sexy to me, and it's just generally attractive in every sense of the word.

• We are on similar wavelengths, DodgersGM. It's not sexy to me, but it's beautiful. By the way, there's got to be some kind of comedic skit in there about a girl asking a guy out, only to have him whip out an IQ test.

Girl: So you busy Saturday night?
      Guy: MMMMMaybe. But first, could you tell me, pharmacists is pharmacy as professor is to...

By the way, thanks and don't forget to vote if you haven't.

• Hahahaha, yeah I could totally see the joke in there. LOL

And yeah, it's incredibly beautiful, no doubt about it! :-)

• You want your mate to have good sense. You want a mate that won't, for example, give aspirin to your young children when they're sick. You don't want a mate that would throw water on a grease fire on the stove. You want somebody who would have their wits about them when times were tough and not freak out. None of that means they have to have an IQ of 145.

• I knew a woman who did throw water on a grease fire. She damn near burned her apartment. Otherwise, she's fairly intelligent. She's hot, too. Used to be a swimsuit model in Japan. Thanks for stopping by and don't forget to vote if you haven't.

• Damn important. You don't have to be a genius but if you don't know basic algebra, basic geography, basic physics, and at least read at a 10th grade level you have no chance.

• Thanks for stopping by. don't forget to vote if you haven't. I have to ask, why "atomiccarrot?"

• Hopefully not for the same reasons I think she nicknames me carrot.

• I'm positive they aren't the same reasons!

• One of the most important factors for me. I don't even like having conversations with people that are less intelligent then me so I can't imagine being in a relationship with them

• Got it. Thanks for stopping by and don't forget to vote if you haven't.

• People tend to mate with those of equal intelligence. Mostly but not always.