Would you ever date a smoker?

I smoke socially and if I'm extremely stressed out. When I do smoke, I wash my hands, chew gum and spray some perfume so I don't smell like it. I don't smoke in the house or around people who dislike it. How many of you would find this an issue you can't look past? Why?

• Yes, smoking is hot.
  • Maybe, if I really liked him/her.
  • No, absolutely not.

Most Helpful Guy

• As an ex-smoker I wouldn't because I still have the occasional craving for a cigarette and I would be afraid that I'd start up again.

• That's a really valid reason. Kudos to you!

• Thank you. :)

• im an ex-smoker.. there is a reason why I wouldn't. cuase I don't want to smoke ever again. its a filthy habit I could do without.

What Guys Said 9

• I'm fairly reactive to excessive quantities of perfumes, technically they make me cough. And I had dual-sided pneumonia when I was 10 months old and my lungs are still kinda crappy from that (well not terrible, I'm just really prone to get bronchitis every one or two years. I don't even catch any other sicknesses, just that...) and so if there's one thing I honestly don't need, it's cigarette smoke.

So, no, absolutely not. The fact that it's self-destructive behavior is just the icing on the cake next to my health concerns from my perspective.

• That's a pretty valid reason. Thanks for sharing.

• I don't smoke and honestly I hate the smell and everything that comes from it, but I can see myself working past it if I really like the girl as long as she didn't do it around me. She'd also probably have to cut back quite a bit at least, because I also don't like the idea of the girl I'm with poisoning her own health.

• Kissing a smoker is like licking an ashtray.

Sorry, but you can tell, even with all that :(

OTOH, if you do all the rest, you can at least do other things?

• Peter, could we talk.. I want to message you but your setting won't allow me

• What do you mean by the last question there?

• Um. I hooked up with someone who smokes, and just because kissing was kind of gross didn't mean we couldn't touch each other... a lot.

• It depends on the kind of smoker. I've smoked weed for a long time and i've grown to like the smell of weed smoke. Its more like incense to me. But tobacco smoke smells disgusting to me, like straight pollution. Also i've switched to vapor which doesn't smell up the house, and on the rare occasion i do smoke joints i do it on the porch and i'd like my bed guests to do the same. Their house, their rules, i suppose, but i don't know if i'd visit a place that smelled like an ashtray often.

• Sorry its a deal breaker for me.

• That's totally fine, just wanting to find out. :)

• No, absolutely not.

• Fair enough.

• because I would take her to outdoor places and stay away from all indoor stuf. Thats if I liked her andI found her to be real pretty I would give it a shot and at the end of the date i would ask her if she's willing to give it up

• Wow, that's a pretty big ask for a first date.

• I would try my very hardest to look past it if I really liked the person. But it would be tough, because nothing turns me off more than that. But at least if she respects that I or others might not like it, like you do, then I'd try to look past it.

• Fair enough, it's the effort than counts. :)

• Exactly, it's only fair to try. I wouldn't like it if someone just wrote me off right away because I drink a lot of soda or something.

• Yeah that's a good way of looking at it. Thanks for the opinion. x

• Well gum doesn't get it out of your clothes

• Perfume tends to do the trick.

• That smell is hard to cover up.

• Fair enough, just wondering what people think.

• well i hate smok so i will never do that :)

What Girls Said 11

• Im a smoker, My husband isnt, he's never smoked a cigg in his life. He doesn't like it but he respects that its my decision and doesn't judge, criticize or look down on me for it. I think its shallow for that to be a reason not to go out with someone.

• no never. disgusting

• Meh I am indifferent but then again I just kicked the habit myself so I would be scared to start up again.

• I'm a smoker so I even prefer a smoker :)

• My dad smokes and it's really terrible for him and everyone around him. If the guy I like smokes I'm not marrying or having any children while he has that habit. I really don't like it because I don't want to expose my child to the hazards of smoking and possibly them die at an early age because of it.

• No smoking is a deal breaker. I tried dating a smoker told him quit or I was gone.

• If I like them I would

• Weed yes, cigarettes no.

• Oh wow, really? Why?

• Nobody wants to kiss a tobacco mouth. Weed gets you happy and mainly positive effects. Cigarettes have no positives whatsoever. Just nasty. I hate cigarettes.

• Yes I've dated smokers... Basically all my bfs

• I have dated a smoker before, it wasn't a big deal.
    He smoked outside, and didn't taste like an ashtray.
    Yes, I'd do it again.
    Would I want him to quit for health reasons? Of course...
    But I am one of those that thinks a man looks sexy sometimes with a cigarette... oral fixation, I suppose.

• I try not to be judgmental of anyone who smokes, and I am not trying to offend anyone by answering but, I would not. My three deal breakers, to not date someone when i'm first getting to know them include:
    If they already have kids (I'm nineteen)
    If they smoke
    If they do drugs.

That being said it's not like you won't get any sort of dates.

• I don't think I've ever been rejected because of it, I tend not to smoke around people who don't smoke themselves so it's a pretty private thing for me. :) You didn't offend me, don't worry.