Is going for a meal a good first date?

I have been asked out for a meal with a guy that I have been speaking to. However I HATE going for a meal on the first date. Am I being stupid? Is going for a meal for the first date good?

• It's a good first date
  • It's a bad first date

Most Helpful Guy

• Going for dinner can be good because the first date is just about talking (considering you weren't friends already)... however, usually first dates are better with activities, usually something like mini-golf or bowling. When you sit down at dinner and you're eating, you're constantly worrying about not only what to say (because you're not doing anything else) but also how your manners are. Are you talking with your mouth full etc...

What Guys Said 4

• its not bad, its a good opportunity to talk and get to know each other in a decent talking environment whilst eating delicious foods :D

• I like to find something to do together more fun than sitting and eating. Going out to an arcade out something fun we can both enjoy. Being a little silly on a first date and showing your personality is better than starting at someone eat their veggies. But a meal is the cliche date. It's the go to for most. So try to make the best of it. He obviously just wants to spend time with you.

• I don't personally like going for lunch or dinner on a first date. I'd rather do something on a first date where the focus isn't so immediately on face to face interaction, but instead on something else (like a movie).

• Well, what specifically don't you like about it?

What Girls Said 3

• It kind of depends. If we're going to a pizza place to grab a slice, it doesn't bother me. It's also not to pricey so it doesn't put anyone on the spot.

Personally I prefer a date to be more casual. I'd like to go do something.

• I wouldn't mind eating on the first date. But everyone's different.

• I've never been on a date but I think I would prefer an activity date rather than a meal date... sometimes when I'm meeting up with an old friend we will go get lunch or something and sometimes its kind of awkward because we've been out of touch so long we don't know what to talk about... but talking is the only thing you can really do