Why do people always tell me that I'm too pretty to be single? Why does everyone assume good looking people should be in relationships?

I hear this all the time and people that know me personally will tell me that i'm a great catch which is different from a stranger saying you are pretty why don't you have a boyfriend. I obviously don't have a problem attracting guys, I'm single by choice i'm not even looking that's why lol. I always wonder why myself and others get asked this question. Not everyone wants to be in a relationship and not every pretty girl or hot guy is relationship material I think that is why so many people fall for what they see and get disappointed when they find out someone's true colors because they can get past someone's looks. I'm glad that I'm not superficial or shallow, but I assume that people that are surprised that someone that they attracted to is single because of their looks is shallow because they never stop to think well maybe that person could just like being single, is a jerk, a cheater, insecure etc. What does everyone think about this? Is this something people say to flirt? (because I don't think its cute lol)

Most Helpful Guy

• people assume that good looking girls are picked up more often, and I guess he is trying to hit on you..

What Guys Said 5

• Because a beautiful girl can have nearly anyone they want. So guys just assume they already have a boyfriend by default, because why wouldn't they.

• They are bring nice to you.

• that was a "breaking the ice" comment he was making to you

• Because hot chicks trumps ugly ones

• So that means hot automatically means you should have a bf. Some hot chicks have shitty personalities, just got of a relationship, does not want to be bothered, but I guess guys don't think maybe that is why she is single

• Its our reflexes, blame em

What Girls Said 11

• You're not conforming to social norms, people feel the need to point out the fact that you aren't doing what is expected of you socially.

• That makes sense but its still not that simple I can get a boyfriend but finding a good decent guy that i connect with and I am compatible with is so much deeper then I am pretty I should not be alone lol

• That is true I'm glad that i'm maturing and can spot those kind very quickly

• They're the types of people who don't want you to get shit out of life, not even the bare minimum of wants/needs.

• In high school one guy in response to me saying I was single responded that I had the boobs and as for one [boyfriend]. I think it's because so much of our culture is obsessed with looks and it's been engrained that skinny/good looking people especially girls are superior in every way to the ugly girls. Ads, movies, tv, music, etc. all promote the idea that the best girls are the pretty girls.

• Ikr but those people can still get cheated on their looks don't prevent that

• We all know that but it's easier to make assumptions based on stereotypes and what not rather than do a case by case for each person you ever come across. Unfortunately it's the way the world works.

• I got that all the time and I was single by choice too. Sometimes it's because that's the only thing they can come up with to say to you (like my dentist). Other times people are just making the simple assumption that if you are attractive (especiall a girl), then you attract a lot of potential mates, and you must have chosen one by now. I don't think as many attractive guys get that question.

I think most of the time though, people just say those things because they don't have anything else interesting to say.

• Yeah i think people assume I have a lot of choices and I haven't picked lol your dentist said that how awkward was that?

• Haha every time I went to the dentist, they would ask if I had a boyfriend yet.

• You must have really nice teeth lol

• I get that too, although I don't consider myself hot or ugly or anything. I just think I'm me. But they usually say it to try and impress or flatter you. That's why I assume they say it to me, but I'm just not into having a relationship at my age so I don't go for it.

• Do you ever hear that you are to pretty for your age? lol I used to get that when I was underage and older guys use to hit on me and I told them how young I was :)

• Oh yeah. Sometimes I'll hang out with my older brother and his friends and when I tell them my age they usually seem sad lol. And half the time they don't believe me until my brother backs me up. It's always "wait, you're in high school! Damn," or something like that. And it's funny but I don't get why they're so into me. I'm not really girly or anything. I don't dress in short shorts and all that. But I guess they like what they see. Idk.

• Lol see what i mean

• That's something that has always bothered me too. By that logic, good looking people would never be single, ever. But they are. There are plenty.

It really bugs me when people just assume everyone wants to be in a relationship in every phase of their lives. Like, someone breaks up, has a "mourning period", and then the only logical thing to want is to get into another relationship as soon as possible? How about enjoying a single life for a while? Plenty of people want that. And how about people who generally don't care for relationships?

The problem is, there are social standards that a majority of people still belive are the only "right" ways to live by. Same goes with marriage - too many people still assume marriage is something like a natural goal in life for everyone. Well, it's not.

• That's how I feel my last relationship was almost a year ago and I felt like being single is best for me right now and even though I explain that a guy still tries to say that doesn't mean you can't have a little fun or have friends well im not looking for fun or friends either lol

• It's annoying sometimes I think some people just don't deal with rejection very well

• That's definitely another possible factor.

• Same here. Its definitely mostly over look and sometimes even personalit or both. But mostly because of looks. In their eyes you are so good in everyway they cannot believe it. They say out of honesty or they giving you the green light that they are interested or both.

• I always see it as flirting but i really like when I give off a certain vibe when I guy is talking to me and he questions why i'm single because he thinks i'm cool and we connect or something like that and that does happen to me sometimes

• Yea, personality ties into as well. Personality actually completes the person after looks. You can ask an attractive person why she's single but after getting to know her, you could see how of a bitch she is, and then the guy then realize why she is. Now goof looks and good personality drive guys to really want to know why you're single lol

• I always felt like it was their way of giving a compliment. I've been single for nearly 4 years and can't even count the amount of times people have said something like this to me. I stopped paying attention to it. Now I roll my eyes or laugh at a comment like that lol.

• Yeah it can be a compliment but the other night I was on a date and I swear the guy said it like 15 times lol

• Yeah I've had similar experinces. I tell them that it's sort of an insult.

• Yeah right

• Story of my life. I don't know, but I've heard the same thing a lot recently. Getting into a relationship takes more than good looks, but I guess it's perceived if someone is attractive, they automatically get into a relationship by default.

• Right I guess guys think well you probably can get any guy you want so you shouldn't be by yourself. How ironic all the bad apples used this line lol

• That is a good point. Usually the guys that have said that also lose interest fast or end up with another girl. Wtf. Lol.

• Its like saying only ugly people are single.

This statement is so unfair to ugly ppl, like im not ugly but like ugly people need love too... real talk.

• I disagree i see people that i'm not attracted to in relationships all the time so that is what makes the question invalid

• You didn't say this, the people who make comments like that make it seem none pretty people are the only ones not in a realtionship. I was joking because of how irrational that thought is... "ugly people need love" is a silly thing to sayand someone will always think someone is pretty so it was joke...

• Yeah i didn't state that lol i get that its a joke but i bet someone overall will get offended by my question in general because the don't think they are attractive or it could be lack of confidence

• I don't know but i get this too haha

• Do you just take it as a compliment or what? lol

• i take it as a compliment that they think i'm attractive haha