Do you think race matters in a relationship?

My boyfriend turned ex now my best friend is what I guess you could consider a red neck. he was a former cowboy who was raised in Alabama, and he's from the deep part of 'bama where they don't take a liking to minorities. Some people said it was a bad idea for me to be with him because we're from different races and the people down there ain't very nice bout my skin color. his friends told him to date within his race, but he doesn't care about the skin color.

Most Helpful Girl

• It matter to those who believe that culturally they do not mix or not understand each other or have never been through whatever the other race has been through - in this case, to most people it matters even though they say it doesnt...

However, in general no it does not matter so what if we are culturally different - both races have more fun that way into teaching each other some of the maybe weirdest traditions or cultures they have, for fun or not... or just learn about each other

It is however sad to see people up to this day where supposedly skin color or religion does not matter hate each other or make fun of each other for this very same reason... I mean, its just skin - we still all end up 6 feet under and nothing is left but a freaking skull... sweetie, you got me

What Guys Said 6

• Race shouldn't matter but it matters to most people. A lot of people don't have that same comfort zone while dating outside their race. Their might be issues within the families, your peers might judge you, and of course all the rude stares in public.

• I don't see a problem with it but I'm up north were it is more socially acceptable. Not that it isn't down there just in some states it isn't. I actually have a crush on a girl of a different race it really means nothing to me, race I mean. We are all Gods children! :)

• honestly as much as im open minded to dating other races, it really does matter. some cultures have a hard time accepting the way things are done in other cultures. also, even if you're ok with it, your family might not. so as open as i am, it does play a big part.

• I think it shouldn't. Different people have different ideals though.

• It shouldn"t matter. It'a just so sad that up to this day some people still can't get over skin tone.

• It will only matter when you are having to put up with uneducated jealous white trash

What Girls Said 15

• 3|0
  • It shouldn't matter, and in a lot of cities, the number of mixed race couples are increasing and in those cities, people don't care. I grew up in a small rural town with cowboys so you can pretty much bet there were not a lot of mixed racial couples. It's not because they were "bad" people, they just haven't been exposed enough to mixed race couples, gay couples, etc to understand that love is love. So you being from Alabama can make it pretty difficult for you to ignore the race factor. But I want you to know that mixed race couples is trending and if you go to Hawaii or any West Coast state, there's a lot of interracial couples.

• You should be able to date you want. However when I was growing up it was not right. Where I live there was not much multicultural people. This was in the early 1980's. In my high school 284 my class may be four people of color. When I was real young in the 1970's the first school I went to with only whites.

Now in 2014 life is completely different. I have several friends that are multicultural in the children and their families are beautiful. Like everyone else below race should not matter but it matters most to people unfortunate.

Good luck to you if you decide to date someone not the same race as you are.

• No, I don't think race matters. People should date who they want regardless of skin color.

• you should be a-fucking-shamed of yourself for dating a guy like that. where is ur pride as a black woman? ew. I hope u didn't have sex with him. what did ur family have to say about it? when u get your n****r wake up call I hope you aren't surprised

• Only if a person is racist and/or unaccepting of any cultural differences between the two.

• I don't think so. It depends on the person. Some don't mind but some prefer the same race for one reason or another. That necessarily mean they are racist though or dislike said skin color.

• Well if the two of you don't care about what anyone thinks then it should not matter

• It doesn't matter to me.

• IT SHOULD NOT MATTER AT ALL... UNLESS PEOPLE ARE LITTLE ALLY RUNNING AFTER YOU WITH PITCHFORKS THAN GOOD LUCK

• i think people should date who they want to date

• Culture can play a role, which is what I believe you're referring to. Not race.

• Why don't you take a look at the ten thousand other racial questions about dating?

• I don't want to sound like I'm being a ass.. but really.. it's a pain to see almost the same questions every 15 min to an hour.. it makes it hard to find other questions that never get a answer.

They should really try to work on this for the next update..

• Well then you have my apologies. I didn't know you had been on here for two days.

• It's alright same here.

• Relationship Matter On Love And Love Always On Top No one Can Beat It At Any stage of life

• It shouldn't. If the people involved aren't racist or prejudice, then it won't. It's complicated if their friends and family are, but that can still be overcome.