My Mom and Boyfriend Don't Get Along?

Lets start with a little background information. My Boyfriend and I have been dating for over 9 month now. We are both going into our senior year and have made plans to live with each other after high school, and long after that and my parents are devoice.

My mom doesn't like my boyfriend and he doesn't like her. My mom doesn't like him because we spend a lot of time at his house and out of the 9 months he has only come over twice (we have spent a lot of time as well at my dads giving him and my boyfriend a very good relationship) My mom finds the fact that he doesn't come over disrespectful and has required that I am not aloud to spend time at his house until we spend five different times at her house. My boyfriend doesn't really want to spend time at my mom's though. He doesn't like her and he feels uncomfortable around her because he knows she doesn't like him. (here is a little bit more background information on why he doesn't like her: for the last couple month my mom and I have not been getting along very well at all, we fought a lot, and a lot of things were said that hurt both of our feelings. I would talk to my boyfriend about it and because of this he does not like my mom).

Here's the thing my mom and him are both very stubborn and no matter what I say can change their minds about each other. I want them to get along at least a little.

My boyfriend will "stomach" these hang outs but any advice on how to make these hanging outs a little easer and possibly help make the relationship between the two even a little lot better is really needed.

Please and Thank You

Most Helpful Guy

• It sounds like you poisoned the image he has of your mother. I would suggest that you stop talking crap about your mom to your boyfriend. Instead start telling him good stuff about her to help the image he has of her. It also sounds like your mom has some control issues, that you are just going to have to accept. It is doubtful they will ever be friends, and your mom can't really push you to hard, since you will be moving out soon. This loss of control is likely freaking her out. Hopefully her losing most of her power over you after you move out, will force her to accept some changes in the way she treats you. If not this will continue to be a problem for you, no matter who you are dating.

What Guys Said 2

• there's not much you can do its your BF and your mom who have to make the effort youve done all you can

• What your boyfriend needs understand is that your mom is your family not some stranger on the street or even a close friend. Him forming a negative opinion of your mom because of what's between you and her shouldn't be. I can't blame your mom because I'm sure she wants to get to know the guy. And you should think it over to if he's distancing himself from your mom because if you were to end up settling down he's going to come between you and your mom and that's not good. You can always find another boyfriend but you will never find another mom.

What Girls Said 1

• I guess if you're picking sides it should be by who does the most for you and out of those things which are most important.