Would you ever date a girl/guy with a mental illness?

Hey everyone,
I was wondering if you would date a girl/guy with a mental illness and below are some questions that you could answer if you wish
1. what type of mental illness would you stay clear from
2. If you lived the person would you stay even with the illness when you find out
3. If you are willing to stay, what would they have to do to make you draw the line and end it
Thanks everyone :)

• Yes
  • No

Most Helpful Guy

• 1. anything that makes it difficult to reason with them.
    2 depends on the illness - Like if it was schizophrenia, probably not. OCD, it would depend on how severe it was. If it was something like nymphomania, absolutely I would stay.
    3. If at any point I felt I was expected to be a 'babysitter' for my girlfriend. That just doesn't appeal to me.

What Guys Said 10

• Yea, i am looking for a Bipolar baby doll. LMAO
    but seriously dating someone with mental illness
    is big step to take in life.. My profile says it all
    i don't hide nothing about myself but it's hard for
    two mentally ill people to date especially if one
    has more seriously illness than the other one
    my ex-girlfriends were both mentally ill the
    first ex was Schizophrenic and she would
    be hurtful to me without even caring to hurt me
    My last ex-girlfriend, she has multiple mental
    illnesses , Bipolar, Schizophrenia, Personality
    disorders. She can't live in society alone
    she lives in State Hospital but this happens in
    life so yes I've dated mentally ill females

• I would but it depends on the illness. A mental illness does not define a person.

1. I'd stay away from uncontrolled personality disorder
    2 yes
    3. go off meds or use illness as a weapon

• Nope. Life is full of enough drama without having to add more to it.

• Yes I can understand but sometimes it can bring a bit of flair if you know what I mean? Depends on the person obviously though

• Nope, it's hard enough as it is without adding extra.

• Depends on illness to tell u truth

• Yes, I would;)

As crazy as she is, I'd date Harley Quinn from batman;>

• No I don't think I'd ever want to date a girl with a mental illness, it's too much for me.

• its complicated hahaha

• No. I don't think they should date.

• It depends what 'mental illness'. E. g. I would date someone with depression or anxiety. But I'd probably avoid someone with schizophrenia.

What Girls Said 6

• I went out with a guy who was schizophrenic when I was 19. It was hard work, really hard work. I wouldn't do it again, I just don't want to have to care for someone as much as that again, it takes an unprecedented amount of patience and understanding and as I get older I have less and less of either of those traits.

• I'm open to it, yes. I have an anxiety disorder and I guess it would be nice to be in a relationship with someone who understood. Though, I'm hoping to become a therapist once I graduate so, I guess the boundaries would need to be clear that although we should support each other (like any relationship) the lines shouldn't blur so that I take on the ''therapist'' role.

1. None in particular, I guess it would depend on the severity.
    2. Yes.
    3. I'm pretty patient, and I think any issues that arise, if we are both committed to the relationship, we could make it work. I always say that when there is violence in a relationship, then it's over. But that goes for a relationship with ANYONE, not just someone who has a mental illness.

• I would... unless its some very serious problem that can harm me in a physical or mental way... also depends on how the guy is even with the illness... like u know... behaving like a child, etc.
    :-)

• Yeah I know what you mean about the child thing hahaha and yeah staying in a relationship that's damaging physically or mentally is something that needs to be thought about

• Long they would stay on their medication and are stable. I would say yes.. They are human and it's not their fault they are sick. Why judge them.. they have the right to be loved too.

• Possibly they have to be on medication though. As I have mental illness myself that is the only way it would work.

• I would definitely date a guy with a mental illness, as I have one myself, I should know. And NO, all you guys that wouldn't, I know a lot of guys that WOULD! Having been in relationships in the past and I have a serious mental illness. So it really doesn't matter what you have as long as your happy. :) And I don't cause drama FYI. :)