Can Exes Remain Friends After the Fact? (Girl & Guy Opinions)?

I feel like this is generally a grey area when it comes to relationships.

The title truly does ask the question at hand fairly clearly... However, of course there are other aspects that can branch off from this.

*Was it a bad break up*Is the ex now in a relationship*Are you now in a relationship*Does someone still have feelings*Do feelings really ever go away*How long was the relationship*

Would you or have you remained good friends with an ex? How did your significant other react or handle it (if you were in a new relationship during the friendship)?

Let me know. :)

• Absolutely not.
  • We can be friends.
  • "We can stay friends." Is just a line said after break ups - It isn't serious.

Most Helpful Guy

• you should never fully close the door on somebody you love or loved! There was a reason why you two clicked to begin with. For some reason people treat relationships like a life experience, they happen, you break up you get sad and try some thing else. That is such an unhealthy behavior. When you are active in a intimate relationship with someone for a long time, they become your best friend. And even if you decide to stop the intimacy, there is still a trustful bond between you two, unless foul play was involved! You can stay friends, in fact I encourage it. Because I still have feelings for those people, and there are plenty of things in common with them, i find no reason to just part ways.

• Besides you never know you might cross paths again in the future and find the same spark you used to have. Sometimes relationships end because of bad timing in life and that's ok. But time keeps moving and in the future there could another good time, and when that happens you two would have moved on from the previous relationship so it'd be like starting fresh and everyone loves a fresh start!
      Be well, take care

• Yea for sure unfortunately some of us are still struggling with the break up

• Time heals all open wounds. :)

What Guys Said 11

• some can and some can't. I've seen both, it just comes down to the person and if they're truly cool with it.

• The reasons for the break up are stronger than the reasons to stay together, otherwise you'd still be together. So no.

I don't talk to any of my exes, bc I don't want to date anyone that does herself. She shouldn't have any friends that she can't go out to dinner and a movie with.

• I imagine you really want an ex to stay around so you can still intervene into their life.

The "connection" is just a BS excuse. If it was strong enough, you'd still be dating

• Nope once a ex always a ex why would
    one in their right mind want be friends
    i mean if there is kids together yes
    if no kids involved than move on with
    no friendship

• I think that depends on how much of your life was spent with the person and more importantly the circumstances of the breakup that determines whether you're able to remain friends or not.

• If the separation has not been with a big fight leaving lasting scars? Why not.
    If you've been a pair for so long, that bond does not just "disappear". Why not keeping each other posted on how you're doing in life and just staying in touch?
    I think it's wiser than to oblige yourself to not stay in touch and feel unhappy about it since you still case for the other - relationship or not.

• I think you can only be friends with an ex if, after you described you have some time since the breakup, you both have moved on, and there's no more romantic attachment.

• I guess you can, but I don't know why anyone would. I wouldn't and I would be a little bothered by it if my girlfriend's ex is still hanging around.

• Some can and some can't. I've tried it three times and none have worked so I give up on the whole friends thing.

• Sure ,, but he can also the be the person that can turn around in half a second and become your closest enemy if he wants because he knows everything about you

• A girls fav line " We can still be friends " BS no guy that was sleeping with you wants to go from lover to friend unless he thinks he can still get some !

• I've remained on good terms with all my exes, only after enough time has passed for me. It's something that I've explained to all my gf's at the beginning of a relationship. Their never to thrilled about it but That's how I am.

• I've been friends with a few exes. It really depends on how we broke up. If it was mutual and not aggressive, where we've realised we're better friends than lovers... then it's easy to stay friends.

What Girls Said 6

• I think these days it's highly unlikely because things like communication and maturity aren't as valued as they used to be, and everything has to be saturated in drama.

However, I think it's entirely possible. If two people recognize that they aren't compatible, not because of some external pressure or heated argument... but just if both wake up one morning and realize they're not satisfied and 'fallen out of love'... they can break it off with civil, even cheerful, conditions.

Just because two people aren't right for each other doesn't mean that either is a "bad" person.
    It just means they don't fit well together. It was a fun adventure for a while, ... and you each learned a little, now it's time to move on, ya know?

I think another thing too is expectations. Some relationships are one-sided. One feels pressured into bonding with someone else, before they truly understand themselves. So their expectations of the other person vary erratically, or are unrealistic. Partners in a relationship are there to grow alongside you--not to aide in your maturation.

• For older more mature people, absolutely. Although for younger less experienced ones, the chances are less likely. Im 42 years old and am still very good friends with the man who was my boyfriend for 10years. Will I have sex with him again or think about it? NEVER and NO! True I did love him like that at one time (and for a long time) but my love for him has changed into a brotherly love which will never be anything more than just that will always be one of my best friends! ;)

• You say that but you don't mean it... maybe you do in the beginning, but if you stay friends with them you can never really move on - IF you really were in love.

• I'm not friends with any of mine. I only had one ex though so far. Neither is my older bro. I guess I thought that was what life does to relationships... get awkward after. Especially if you still have the hots for them, and you guys were intimate before. It could hurt seeing the other person say "I love you" and make promises of forever to someone else you know?

• You can but why would you want to I prefer to let someone go completely and leave the past where it belongs there are so many people I can be friends with an ex is never on my radar I don't care how it ended.

• depends on the reason we broke up