Has anyone ever seriously tried online dating sites?

Question says it all. Have you ever seriously tried an online dating site? And if so... how did that work out for you? I'm part of one, but the dudes on there are out for one thing and it gets pretty annoying after a while.

I guess I should add. I have had only ONE success through a site - at first. I ended up dating him for 3 years, but it turned out he hid A LOT of information from me, which I found out over time. I ended up being too much drama.

Most Helpful Guy

• I have tried OKCupid and POF. Online dating is not for me, because it's harder to stand out when always being compared to the next guy.

Online dating is also incredibly unbalanced. Guys have no fear and message girls in bulk, and that pumps up the girl's own perceived value. This results in higher than normal selectivity and an overall jaded attitude.

What would work as an effective ice breaker in person is repulsive and negligent (unless you're a stud) online. When one person greets you in person, it is common decency to acknowledge him/her in return. You wouldn't say "I don't respond to (Hello), your approach is ignored. Be interesting and MAYBE I'll respond."

I'd rather keep it real than cater to artificially pumped egos. I've met a few girls that I ended up not connecting with. I've come close to many that bail out at the last minute, an unforgivable offense in my book. I've been ignored by countless girls, with a lot of them being girls that I wouldn't even find worthy of approaching in real life.

Online dating on those sites in particular, is for the desperate. Those desperate for a date or desperate for attention. I'm neither of those, so in the words of Kevin O'Leary... I'm out.

• I completely agree with you! I've actually heard this a lot.

• Not that hard. A lot of dudes have written me off because I didn't reply to them within a couple minutes. - not sure what that's all about but saved me time lol

• More proof of how online dating brings out the worst in people.

What Guys Said 13

• Online dating sites tend to be more or less a reflection of real life. Though you have a more concentrated pool of people to draw from. Yes there are a lot of guys on there that are looking for one thing and one thing only. Same thing can be said for girls. I lost count of the number of women who messaged me looking to cheat on their husbands, or boyfriends.
    There are some genuine people on those sites, but its a matter of finding out and looking for red flags. Some of my experiences on them have been down right comical. I thought I was being punk'd. I laugh now, but at the time I was just mortified.
    Just be careful and ask questions, more than once, in different ways. pay attention to details. because I learned pretty early that the devil is in the details.
    Though I found out some of the goings on with some of these women through sheer blind luck.
    I can also say that some sites have better quality people than others. POF is a sewer. Everyone I met on there was looking for sex and someone to spend money on them. Also none of them were up front. Which annoyed me to no end.

• Yes, I did a few years ago. I consider myself above average looking, and have a good personality and I had no luck whatsoever. I was on for about 9 months and barely even talked to anyone. I couldn't figure out wtf I was doing wrong. I've had more luck irl or on sites that are not intended for dating. I even followed the site's instructions to have the highest odds of meeting someone and it never happened. I have no faith in them. Must be something wrong with me lol.

• If i could find a girl who was real / genuine online
    who would like to talk on web-cam/ Skype yes i
    would consider but I'm not getting involved with a girl
    just for sex talk or sexual activity, i don't like chatting
    on cell phone apps not too safe, i want talk face to face
    I'm sure there is free site that has this but you got watch
    out for scammers on all dating sites / social sites you
    meet someone there is always someone out there

• so they just look for sex is what you're saying your experiences are like right?

• Basically. Seems like that's what most of them use it for. I've had a few decent conversations, then they'll turn it sexual with the quickness lol. That's when it ends there.

• are you using a free site?

• I haven't tried online sites, but I have tried Tinder with a bunch of friends. We all used it to see who would get the most matches. It did not turn out so great for me!

• Yes, along time ago.

I didn't do well though, I had 10 time more success IRL, I guess online dating just isn't for me.

• Many of them are scam sites. Don't ever pay money to any of them until you've checked the sites background.
    The ones I tried were all crap in my opinion.

• I personally have not. They were before my time. My sister met her husband on one, though.

• well, i'm a member in imvu :D it's not just an online dating site ! but i think we can find samething in dating sites too ! and even on here :) just look at 80 % of questions :D

• I am currently talkin to a girl i like... we are meeting Sunday idkk if she is interested in me or not

• Sure. I use ok-cupid. And it sucks. I usually get a couple of emails from a girl before she just ups and ceases all contact with no explanation. I much prefer meeting girls in the real world, as opposed to online. Much less bullshit.

• Yeah, and they're terrible. Unless you are looking for all the horn dogs (guys) or the biggest gathering of insecurity since The Great Depression (girls), then it's totally the best thing ever!

It's all just a matter of perspective ;D

• if you dont want sex, than dont be looking for a boyfriend or expect to have one cause thats one of the many things guys look for in a relationship, that includes love too, a lot of those online dating sites turn out to be a waste of time cause girls go on there looking for guys just for money and personal gain and not what we are really for, which is love and sex and companionship, i can't get a girlfriend or attract girls or even be talked to anywhere else in the first place so why should i bother with online dating sites?

• I don't think you fully understood what I was asking. I did not say I don't want to have sex. I am saying that it seems to be the FIRST thing that I am asked. When a potential person is SEX centered in their initial conversation, then yes that's a problem for me and a red flag they are looking most likely for a one nighter.

• i understand, just giving you some info to go on, guys are just desperate for sex, some guys view sex as a connection thing, you can put that you dont want one nighters under your dating profile, unless you've done that, than i dont know

What Girls Said 4

• I met both my current and previous boyfriend online. My current boyfriend ( who is very sweet and respectful) and I met on match. com, and we've been together for 5 months. You do have to weed through some of the weirdos and people looking for hook ups, but there are some good guys on there as well.

• no. most pointless pieces of crap in my opinion lol. sorry but i seriously dont believe in love developing through an internet connection.. it doesn't even SOUND romantic=/ anyone can b anything on the internet, and there r so many horrific stories on how it turned out. yeah, there r also great stories, but these r quite rare and take 2 special people who have loyalty and commitment above all other traits.

• Yes I have... I dated (not serious) 2 guys off dating sites. I still have accounts but I'm not really into them anymore. I'm either not into the guys or the guys I'm into aren't into me or they only want hookups.

• I happen to have met my boyfriend through tinder... Does that count? We've been together for 3 months. I wouldn't even let him kiss me for a month. If he just wanted sex I was so not going to deal with that.