What do guys and girls base their initial impression on when it comes to asking out/being asked out, dating and potential relationships?

What makes you say yes? Is it looks? Personality? Both?

Most Helpful Girl

• My first impression is looks, just because I'm probably going to see a guy before talking to him. And yes, that can be important. If I see a guy in an unusual place, him being exceptionally attractive could be the difference between me saying hi and us hitting it off, or not saying anything and never seeing him again.
    Once there's repeated contact, personality is absolutely the decisive factor. I've considered dating guys who I didn't find terribly attractive because they were wonderful people, and I've written off pretty hot guys because they were too full of themselves.

What Girls Said 5

• If you're talking about what attracts you to a person initially, I would have to say looks. But if you are talking about thinking about pursuing a relationship, what I first think about that person is how well we get along or what about them it is that makes me happy, so I'd have to say personality :)

• Definitely their personality. For me, a guy can be very good looking, but I'll have no interest in him unless he's interesting and good-humoured and shares some of my traits (into music, art, books, etc). I also like guys who treat me like they're genuinely wanting to get to know me as a person, and don't only talk about themselves or try to show off.

• That's interesting, thanks. But do you think subconsciously you also judge by looks?

• What's interesting is that a lot of scientific journals claim that everyone subconsciously judges by genetic looks like ace and body not just in the context of relationships but apparently first impressions for anything.

• We undoubtedly make those judgements on some level, but I think the initial impression can be changed fairly swiftly once the person starts talking, haha. Meeting someone who's personality compliments your own makes a much more profound and long-lasting impression in my opinion :)

• Well for me, it's looks first since that's the first thing you usually notice lol, then you get to know them on a deeper level and that's what can make or break your interest.

We are speaking in general here, not counting the complexities and neurotic behaviors of the unusual.

• So do you believe that looks is the primary thing people judge by?

• first impression it looks than its personality

• Personality! based on personal experience:falling for the hottie of the faculty and then hearing his sexist and douchebag comments made me puke. i couldnt understand how that beautiful face with such perfect lips could say crap like that. it was the biggest turn off. such a waste of good genes...

What Guys Said 0