I'm 16, he's 22, is a 5 year age gap a problem?

Title says it all, so what do you guys think about this? Is the age gap too big between us or is in normal? We only talk over the internet and I have never actually met him but it doesent seem to be much or a problem to me. In my opinion it's on the edge of being to much and being normal, but I would like to hear your opinions :)

• Normal
  • Not normal
I'm almost 17 ^^

Most Helpful Guy

• I voted normal because 5 year gap difference isn't that huge. Society thinks it's not normal because its illegal unless you are 18 of age to have sex. If we fast forward and you were 30 and he's 35, no one would care if you dated. Age is just a number. BUT, since you are still a minor, you should focus on you education first! Men will come later and men love smart women.

• In the UK she is not a minor

• Romeo and Juliet met around that age and fell in love... look what happened to them?
      If I was you, I would date the guy and see where it goes but I wouldn't' sleep with him till he offers some kind of commitment. Goodluck.

What Guys Said 19

• A five to six year age gap isn't normally a problem, except for the fact that, depending on the state in which you live, it might be illegal until you turn 18. You'll have to check your state laws. I also think that it'd be weird for a guy that's that far removed from graduating high to date a high school student. You should probably wait.

• How can i say this.

IT IS NORMAL!

THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH THIS!

If you dont have sex until your 18, i say 18, then your totally 100% good, wtf is wrong with two people who want to be with eachother?
    Its only 5 years and one is nearly an adult.

Enjoy your life, be happy, do what feels right and dont judge him based on his age.

• well you two are just friends on the internet? I think its fine. even if friends IRL I think its still fine. friends are friends. actually I just noticed you never did mention if he's your BF or not.

• Well, we are friends but there is like little more than that ^^

• oh I get:D hahaa. well its still okay IMHO. some people will say age is just a number, but to a certain extent! that being that being friends with a minor is totally fine:) even dating a minor can be done correctly, it always just sounds so bad when you hear about it but it totally can be fine.

• Yes, you're an adolescent girl and he's a grown man. He honestly shouldn't even want to talk to you given your age. The fact that he does should be a big warning sign.

• 6 years isn't much.
    I've usually worked with a 7 - 23 year difference.
    1/2 + 7 is normal and acceptable. If he's 22, ( 11 + 7 ) = 18.
    You're slightly young, but in a few years it won't matter. Just don't do anything illegal.

• I wouldn't say it's the age gap, I've been with women over 15 years older than me. I think it's the fact that you're only 16. Add a couple more years to it before going any further would be my advice. Also, be careful about those you meet online,

• i went out with a girl who was 3 years younger than me, and honestly it was hard she couldnt understand certain things so she said a bunch of dumb stuff, and eventually i left she was to young minded for me so
    basically what im saying is if you dont understand something dont say anything, or else you'll look like an idiot and any real man doesn't wanna stand next to an idiot just my word of advice

• dude ask a cop that's jail time for him so yeah its a major problem

• Nothing will be a problem when you're 18. If he's that interested in you, let him wait.

• Considering your still in high school and he should be graduated from or really close I think that's too big of an age gap

• Yea, it's fine. Don't worry about it lol, 5 years isn't that bad

• Don't do anything with him until you're 18 so he doesn't get in trouble.

• 5 years isn't even an age gap. The problem is the legality.

• Depending on where you live it could be illegal.

• Nothing wrong with that.
    Anyway, who cares what others think, thats your business.

5 YEARS is FUCK ALL! Not as if its 10 years and your under 16 right? xd

• When your younger age gaps are more important, otherwise 5 years wouldn't be such big deal. I'd be careful until your 18 though.

• NORMALLLLLLLLLLLL trust me !!!

• Age of consent is 16 in most places, including US and Canada. I don't know why everyone is saying to wait til 18

• At your age... fuck yes.

you are like a todler dating a grown man. I honestly will feel disgusted by this kind of a fucking guy and assume he is a loser and can't get woman of his age. so preys on the easier more naive ones.

now if you were 43 and he was 50... then that is a very different story and is completely acceptable.

What Girls Said 13

• Ah, så du bor i Sverige :D då kan jag svara på svenska.
    5 år är inte så värst mycket, nej. Men du är bara 16, nästan 17. Om jag var du så skulle jag vänta tills jag var 18 innan jag skulle göra något med honom. Då är 5 år inte lika mycket längre, liksom. När jag var 17 så var jag intresserad av en kille som var 23/24, så åldersskillnaden var 6 år. Fastän vi kom väldigt bra överens så kändes det ändå lite tungt, och han sa t. o. m till mig att åldersskillnaden var lite för stor. Vilket jag förstår precis. Men när du fyller 18 så klassas du som vuxen, så då tycker jag att det är helt okej att vara med någon som är lite äldre. :) Fast detta är bara vad jag rekommenderar. Om ni båda tycker att det känns rätt och ni inte har några problem alls, så är det väl bara att köra på haha!

• A five year gap is definitely not a problem my grandparents are 11 years apart. But a five year between a minor and an adult is a problem. Depending on where you live some laws from upon adults being with minors. Be careful who you talk about your relationship to.

• That's so normal for Sweden. Isn't the legal age like 15?

• Yeah xD 15 or 16 i think

• It's legal, but still play it safe. I may not know you, but I care and don't wish for you to get hurt or used. Remember, you're in control of what rate you would like to take your relationship :)

• When you're 16, a 5 year age gap is a problem. A 22 year old should not want anything to do with a 16 year old without there being something wrong with him/her... take it from a 22 year old. It's sick.

• Give love a chance

• It would be okay to have that gap in age if you were older... What are his intentions dating you?

• He is too old for you and probably just wants sex no mature guy at that age should want anything to do with a minor even if you were legal age the maturity levels differ.

• As a 22 year old myself, yes that's weird. No normal 22 year old wants anything to do with an adolescent romantically. It wouldn't be an issue if you were 26 and he were 31, but you're not even close to being on the same wave length mentally or emotionally.

• 5 years age gap is fine :-)

• You've never meet him:/

• It all depends on age. At your age, no it's not good.

• At your age it's illegal.

• Age gap is not important but you are just 16!
    trust me a nice 22 old man don't interest a teen girl.