My boyfriend is Christian and I am Agnostic?

He doesn't believe in sex before marriage, living together before marriage, or even sleeping in the same bed before marriage. I believe that these are important steps to explore in developing your relationship together and determining whether you work as a full time couple. Advice?

Most Helpful Guy

• either compromise your position and realize that a relationship with him may require waiting until he is comfortable OR move on to a person who's sexual and physical intimacy expectations or desires are more in line with yours

I think most of us would like to hope that different sexual expectations, tendencies and things like that shouldn't be a prohibitor to a relationship. however, since the sexual component of a relationship is very important it is necessary to be on the same page as your partner.

What Guys Said 6

• I agree with you and disagree with him.
    Religion.
    It is a good code to live by, but if you let it rule your life you WILL end up unhappy. That is all religion is. something that created and spread morals. Now, if you extremely conservative like he is, I find that to be a problem. I find it hard to even be friends with that kind of extremists.

I would personally not even be with that person in the first place honestly. He is allowing something to rule his life. He is not free to love you he loves his god to much, enough to the point where he won't sleep in the same bed as you, enough that he let's it be more powerful then natural instincts/urges (sex). or maybe he had ED and wants to make it so that your married to him and can't back out before revealing that.

EITHER WAY,

I personally cannot date such a person. My honest advice is to no longer be with him and find someone who doesn't have god shoved so far up his ass that he is literally glowing with innocence.

• I agree with WIWWM. But if you stay with him be prepared to be okay with every nonsense religious ideal he has. Religious people would literally stick straws up their nose every morning if the bible said to do it. They would believe with everything ounce of their being that it's "the word of God!" and probably refuse to be with any girl who doesn't stick straws up their nose every morning.

The things you say are important things to know about before marriage, you don't marry someone unless you love them. To me love means they are the perfect person for you, and you can't know that if you don't live with them or sleep with them.

• Have you told him what you just told us?

If not, you might want to try. Same words and everything. You laid it out really well.

If his faith and your needs aren't compatible, you've answered your question. :-(

• You should split.
    He has his ideas and you have yours.

This "sex is not that important" doesn't stem from religiousness necesarilly. I am an atheist and still think sex is special and should be saved.
    But if you think different, best thing is to move on.

• Sex is icing on the cake... its not the foundation of the cake. If you can't deal with his ideals, the relationship is ganna be tough for both of you.

• Break up. This is what is known as being incompatible.

What Girls Said 2

• Well. As a Christian I agree with your boyfriend. If you love him you have to respect his relationship with God.

• If neither of you feel like compromising, it won't work. Your values and beliefs are too different.