How soon after meeting someone can you determine whether they could be just a friend, a sidepiece, gf/bf material or marriage material?

I have a debate going on with a friend. He says sometimes it takes a long time more than two years to determine whether a person is good enough to be the gf and maybe up to 5 years to determine if she is marriage worthy. He also believes that one can be upgraded from a side piece to a girlfriend. I disagree that you decide at least within the first 6 month how this person is going to become apart of your life. If he treats me like a side piece I would feel awkward becoming his girlfriend... Anyways How soon after meeting someone can you determine whether they could be just a friend, a sidepiece, gf/bf material or marriage material?

Most Helpful Girl

• It all depends on the person. Some can have instant attraction but others will be just friends until you know the better. I think sidepiece, friend and bf/gf is decided after a few dates so as little as a week but as much as six months. Marriage material should take at least a year up to five years of dating, after that you are pretty much married anyway so it doesn't really count.

What Guys Said 1

• It all depends on the person. Your question has many different answers.
    Me though, I can tell within the first hour of meeting you whether or not I want to see you again.
    After the 3rd or 4th time I see you, I already know whether or not I want you to be my girlfriend.
    Marriage is a whole 'nother story.

• Marriage; I would say being together for at least 4 years and have lived together for 2-3 of those years.

What Girls Said 0