Age gap - is it just a number?

So I have been facing this question for sometime now.

In today's society is it still weird or unheard of that the age between two people dating is bigger than 10 years?

And is it still inappropriate for a woman to date a guy younger than her of about 2 - 12 years?

Cause over the course of a few weeks I have seen and heard about so many couples being judged cause of this. Why is it so?

Most Helpful Guy

• Who cares about what others think unless they are your mother or boss.
    I have many times dated 10-12 years younger than me, although they say I look 10 years younger than I am.
    I don't think it is inappropriate to date younger for women either.
    There is the cougar rage going on now, so it is more accepted.
    Age is just a number, feelings and compatibility is what matters.
    My most intense relationship was with a girl 11 years younger.
    We broke up due to outside interference.
    20 years later I still miss her, we really connected at an intense level.

What Guys Said 7

• According to Harold & Maude (1971, film) it IS just a number, but their relationship is hard to take seriously (even the whole movie seriously) between the constant fake suicides and funeral attendances. What the?

Anyway, I think the issue at hand is life has phases. For example, a young person just entering college may be thinking about a degree, a career, and probably dating for future prospective spouses.

When adults get older, things like kids, where to live, buying and selling houses, good school districts, etc.. are going to be on their mind. If they are tragically thrust into the single dating world at this phase, while they *could* date the young college student per se, they are more likely to choose someone who will be a strategic ally in meeting these needs, and often that means people in their own age bracket because they are in a similar phase of life. For a man particularly, a young girl simply equates to "tail", he'll never commit to her unless she has got a LOT going for her. I think people don't put much esteem on "for the tail" type relationships.

Get older still, and now kids may be grown up and securing their legacy important; would they want all the inheritance they leave behind to go to someone else's children? Things like economic class or legal arrangements in any union would be big, or there could be severe commitment issues. Wouldn't the 18 year old who married the 75 year old be seen as nothing more than a gold digger, maybe hoping he or she will kick off in a few years and take possession of the assets?

It is kind of a number, but I think the important thing we're looking at here, and sometimes its represented by the number and sometimes it isn't -- is phase of life and mutual goals and needs.

Those change throughout a lifetime. I think that is all there is to it. Anyone who isn't being true to themselves is looked down upon is all.

• Depends on the age.

4 years is nothing when it comes to a 22 year old dating a 26 year old. But when talking about a 14 year old and an 18 year old, it's a big difference.

And an age gap of 10 years is weird no matter what in my opinion. Unless it's a 50 year old and a 40 year old, then it's not as bad. Don't know why lol.

• If you're both adults, it shouldn't matter and I won't judge you.
    I've never exceeded 23 years (by much), and long term relationships have been 9 -10 years difference.

• If both reached majority I don't see much problems.

• Why is anyone else's opinion of it any of your or your partner's business? Last woman I wanted is 13 years younger than me. She's 23 now, that made her 22 at the time.

• Love is Love, age is an issue of MIND over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't MATTER.

• I like older women, but was turned down by a woman 10 years older than me. Funny thing is, she showed every sign of liking me, and even told my friend she did

What Girls Said 4

• Age can be just a numer sure. There are definitely couples who it can work for. I just feel like sometimes people don't think ahead and might forget that the 2 individuals could be in two completely different life stages and might want different things out of the relationship. It always starts off wonderful but then years down the line the cracks can start to show because of these underlying differences. With that said, it's only in some cases that I've noticed this. It depends on the two people involved, their level of maturity and what they want.

People can be judgmental over anything. I think more people are getting used to it.

• I thin the age gap can get as big as someone wants, as long as they're both adult. Like I couldn't give less of a fuck if a 21-year old has a relationship with an 45-year old.
    I however do care if a 14-year old has a relationship with a 24-year old, simply because they're at completely different stages of their life and the 14-year old is too young, naive and gullible.
    But yeah, they'll get judged for it, because society sucks.

• I agree that it also has to do with maturity level too. I'm 21 and I would date someone probably up to 15 years older than me. I wouldn't want to be with anyone older probably for selfish reasons to be honest, such as having children as I wouldn't want them to get teased at school for having a really old dad (this does happen). I also know a lot of guys aged 30, 31, 32 and the majority of them seem younger than they are, that's why I could date them. I think as time goes on it is getting more acceptable to have a bigger age gap as older people are getting (or should that say acting?) younger. If that makes any sense at all! Ha.

• Dont care what people say. Its upto those 2 people. We can see many successful examples of people having good relationship inspite of age gap and people of same age getting divorced. Its all about understanding, maturity between 2 people. Its difficult for 2 people to adjust tnxs to age gao but isn't impossible. Everything has its own pros and cons