What do you think of open relationships? would you be open to it?

to me is what is the point of being in a relationship if couple decide to have an open relationship?
What's your take?

• Yes open to it
  • No
  • It depends (please specify)
Okay i am glad i am not the odd one out

Most Helpful Guy

• Nope, it's not for me and it's not something that I'd ever consider. I want someone to belong to me and ONLY me, and in turn I would belong to her and ONLY her. I actually find the idea of that really sexy, and to me it's a far, far sexier notion to give all of yourself to just one other person, and NOBODY else.

I have absolutely zero problem with people doing that if it's what makes them happy, though.

What Guys Said 12

• To start, that isn't a relationship at all in any way shape or form. It's a friendship with sexual benefits. Anyone who's been through cheating or even just knows themselves well enough to be able to say that an open relationship, isn't a real one. Rather more just you two saying you don't know what you want but covering it with a simple "i love you".

• Open relationships are an "advanced" form of relationship - they require that you already have a great deal of skill and experience with relationships, and of course, that everyone involved WANTS the relationship to be open. And while the majority of people have no interest in an open relationship, there's probably a good 3-5% of the population who does, and that's quite a few people if you think about it.

Some are simply polyamorous - they fall in love with more than one person at a time and don't want to have to limit their actions based on societal norms. Again, such relationships generally only "work" if everyone involved feels this way, and is free to have multiple partners. They also must be able to contain any jealousy they might occasionally feel, or be past jealousy and fully embracing of the openness of the relationship.

Others have open relationships because they realize that they cannot, or don't want to, fulfill a need of their partner, despite loving that partner very much. Perhaps a guy has a penis injury and can't perform intercourse, and his wife craves it. Perhaps a wife has completely lost her sex drive, but is still in love with her husband and wants to maintain the emotional, familial, and financial relationship. Perhaps one person realizes they need a BDSM relationship, while the other is totally vanilla and wants nothing to do with that. Again, this requires some advanced "emotion management" by the couple, that not everyone can accomplish.

I think the majority of people either simply want a standard monogamous relationship OR they (a few) haven't had the experience, emotional control, and confidence to seek the type of relationship they actually want, so they settle for monogamy when they want something else. But that small couple of percent know what they want and find other people who want the same, and IMO, there's nothing wrong with that.

• Not for me. If someone isn't worth me committing to (or if I'm not worth it) 100%, it's not the kind of relationship I want.

• If you define to me what an open relationship is I'll be in a better position to opine (I know what it is, but I want the definition from you) :-)

• which mean a couple even though they are in a relationship , they are free to sleep with to sleep with someone else

• 1. Does sex alone define a relationship? NO it doesn't though it's a large factor alright.
      2. It's a matter of comfort, compatibility, respect and love between them.
      3. If a cpl is comfortable with deriving happiness from each other's happiness and it may mean each of them having sex outside a formal relationship, it neither tantamounts to infidelity nor does it to being unattached. All it means is that they love each other enough to derive happiness from everything about each other's happiness
      3. The idea about monogamy, how sexuality must be conducted etc is not only a tad natural but also imbibed in us by religion, society, family etc since eons - albeit all for the general good but that is because the common man (or woman) is incapable of sound logic & understanding - a common man (or woman) is emotionally driven cause that's easier & natural :-) Being mind oriented is quite a task no matter how much one is used to it & acclimatized to it

• 4. Bottomline is people in an open relationship can well be very much in love and probably much more in love than a regular 'best' loving relationship :-) cause (a) they are compatible (b) they understand each other (c) they love each other. All that if it's not just a relationship of convenience :-)

• Nope i like something real

• Open relationships are not my style

• My only problem is sharing a girl's vagina with another guy is pretty gross.

• I have no interest in owning someone else and I don't want to be owned, so why not.
    For me freedom is a corner stone of love. But just because you are free to do something doesn't mean that you have to do it. But it's nice to have that freedom.

• I couldn't do that

• ok first.. what is your understanding of an open relationship? (otherwise i can't answer the questions poll correctly)

• I see. Well in that case id answer no, im not open to have an open relationship with someone. Because how can you love that girl/guy? When you know he or she also goes to bed with different girls/guys?

• No.. But maybe if I wasn't so serious about her and there was another girl I liked more and I didn't want to commit until I knew I couldnt be with her.. but I don't know

• would u tell the first girl that u want open relationship?

• I doubt it. I'm not sure, this hasn't actually happened

• Depends on who with, etc.

Which is kinda 'open to it'.

For the right woman, yeah I'd share.

What Girls Said 10

• I think for some people that it's possible and will work great. I've had friends who were in ones and those were great relationships for them. I personally couldn't share my fiancĂ© with anyone.

• who did they make it work? wouldn't they be jealous? yes for me i can't share

• still cheat in open relationship? hmmm that's profound...
      thanks for the view :)

• Basically if you weren't honest about it either before or after the fling then it was cheating. Apparently there is still more to it than that but that's all I really understood.

• I don't believe in having open relationships and I feel like the couples that do involve themselves in open relationships do so because they know their partner will cheat so they just allow them to and bring others into their bedroom to make the other partner happy and most of the time a man will be able to do it and not his woman even though most couples have different terms. If you want to fuck other people then why be committed to one person? Letting someone have their cake and eat it too is because of insecurity that you don't believe that you can actually be in a committed relationship with a monogamous person. That's how I feel about it.

• Personally I would never even try an open relationship. I know it wouldn't work for me, but if it works for someone else good for them.

• Can you even call that a relationship?

• I think its stupid. if they want to see other people, they should just break up. it obviously isn't a serious relationship if you're willing to see other people and allowing your "partner" to see other people

• Open relationships are pointless and dumb, in my opinion. I'm not fond of sharing. Might as well just not be in the relationship lol

• Why buy the cow if you only need to pay for the milk each time when you want to drink is what people in open relationships/friends with benefits relationships on this site always say.

• I don't care if other people have such relationships but it's really not my thing. I don't share.

• having an open relationship is like not having a relationship lol. I'm too conservative to have an open relationship ew

• No I couldn't do it, I believe in giving myself to one person only. Sharing isn't a relationship it's an agreement between two people who don't know how to commit to anyone. I don't judge those who chose that life but I couldn't do it.